Need Help Finding Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cansi16

New
Reaction score
[Hello everyone.
I was recently in touch with an old friend that I was an instructor with for a year in Puerto Rico, only to find out he was in hospital recovering from Type II DCS. About a month ago, he attempted to save an unexperienced diver from a rapid accent, and in the proccess, got bent himself.
Without going into the whole story, he was fully paralysed from the neck down and lost all feeling and bodily control. Thankfully he has gained back much of his mobility, but still has a long road to full health.
What I am looking for is some sort of database of case studies related to diving injuries, so we can compare and learn from others stories. We want to better learn what his recovery chances are going to be.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY ONLINE MATERIAL PLEASE HELP

Thanks for the response.
I have found that but my DAN membership has expired. Is there anyone who can download this info and email it to me?
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

cansi16:
[Hello everyone.
I was recently in touch with an old friend that I was an instructor with for a year in Puerto Rico, only to find out he was in hospital recovering from Type II DCS. About a month ago, he attempted to save an unexperienced diver from a rapid accent, and in the proccess, got bent himself.
Without going into the whole story, he was fully paralysed from the neck down and lost all feeling and bodily control. Thankfully he has gained back much of his mobility, but still has a long road to full health.
What I am looking for is some sort of database of case studies related to diving injuries, so we can compare and learn from others stories. We want to better learn what his recovery chances are going to be.

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY ONLINE MATERIAL PLEASE HELP

Your best source of info would be from DAN and in particular their annual DCI report. If you are a member you can download this for free here.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/index.asp

In the study below of 69 divers presenting with paralysis they found 50 percent of divers had no residual symtoms , 20% had mild symptoms,and 30 percent had impairing symptoms I think at the 3 month mark post injury.

DAN Medical Research
Publication Database

Title: Paralysis in 69 recreational SCUBA injuries
Authors: Dovenbarger JA, Uguccioni DM, Sullivan KM, Dear G deL, Moon RE
Publication: Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine
Volume: 27(suppl)
Pages: 43
Year: 2000

cansi16:
Thanks for the response.
I have found that document, but my DAN membership has expired. Is there anyone who can download this info and email it to me?
ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

You won't be able to download that particular journal article but if you go to your nearest university library you can access the journal or they can get a copy for you.

Here is a link to the 2004 report you can download without a membership.
http://www.danseap.org/pdf&doc/2004DCIReport.pdf

thank you so much... I really do appreciate it!

cansi16:
thank you so much... I really do appreciate it!

I hope your friend ends up in the 50 percent no residual symptom group.

Do you know how long a time interval there was from the incident until he was in the chamber? Did the other diver experience any symptoms?

Hello cansi 16:

Let us hope – and pray – that your friend makes a good recovery. It sounds as if some progress has been made.

HBO treatments usually are continued until progress appears to halt and a plateau has been reached. Depending on the treatment location, the attending medical staff may or may not know this.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom