Need help prioritizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asiders9

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While I was thinking about how I wanted to spend my hard earned cash the other day I began to think about how I want to study abroad in Australia or South Africa in a year or year and a half. Now my mindset is all about saving money for that. Anyway, I have a lot of scuba related stuff that I want before I got but know that it probably won't be possible for me to get everything so I was wanting some ideas. I obviously want to own all of my own gear but also want to get

1. Camera housing and strobe(s) for my D70s or buy a video camera and get everything on the video side of the spectrum.

2. Advanced Open Water Certification

3. Tech Certifications- Deep diving (excess of 150 ft.) and maybe cave diving.

I know it would be best to get my own gear before getting any more training but was wondering if there is even really any very good tech diving in either location. I have around 35 dives logged and want to get more into it but it's just so expensive!

Thanks and sorry for the long post,

Adam

The AOW is the easiest step to get. The photo and Tech cost much more. But, good goals to have.

Get your AOW and rescue classes out of the way. If you have the money and inclination also get Nitrox certified (just one evening). You will want to have taken at least those three before you start on any cave/tech training. I don't know what prices are like in Kansas, but I would be surprised if they ran more than $600 for all of them. Ask your LDS if you can get a package price on the classes as well.

Get the camera and your AOW. Get a lot of practice on land with your camera before you start looking at housings and lighting, since you'll have a much better idea of what features you want once you take it underwater. AOW is a good next step after OW. Get as many dives in as you can between certs, and don't rush into tech diving right off the bat, there's plenty to learn and enjoy along the way, as a recreational diver and soon-to-be underwater photographer. And, definitely keep putting money under the mattress for Oz or SA - those travels will not only take you to places with great diving, but you'll have the adventures of a lifetime studying abroad!

I bought a video camera...and I hardly ever take it on dives. My digital still camera does pretty good video, and I find I'm a lot more likely to watch a 2 or 3 minute clip of some extra cool stuff than a 20 minute video of my whole dive. I'd say that investing in strobes would be worthwhile if you plan to dive a lot, however good strobes are expensive. Depending on the conditions and your photographic dreams a strobe may or maynot be worth the $. I've gotten by pretty well without one, but there have been some shots (that in hindsight) required more light.
AOW - honestly unless you need it for something (like a rescue course or whatnot) I'd pass. With 35 dives behind you, I think that you'll find most of the material in most (but not all) AOW courses to be review. I've never dove anywhere where and AOW card made any difference.
Tech stuff - If you want to get into tech diving you need to be prepared to spend a lot of money and time in training. Examine the reasons you want to dive beyond 150 feet or into caves. If it's just to say you've done it, I think your money maybe spend better elsewhere.

Tech? Is a money pit so save that for latter when $$ is less of an issue.

Camera? Think about getting that when you have your act together as a diver. That may be now or after AOW. I have seen many camera toting new divers that are not ready for the task loading and their attention would best be put to diving.

AOW? If you think it will broaden your horizons or let you enjoy certain charters that require it the m go find a good program and spread your fins.

Asxide from al of the do plenty of the diving that you are equipped and certified to do.

Pete

Camera? I'd start out with an elcheapo and find out if you really want a more expensive one later. Lots of underwater cameras and strobes are for sale on Ebay, just like all other diving equipment, which a person has bought and then decided that it was not for them.

AOW? $-LOL-$.

Deep diving below 150? Not much down there ,as I have found out, but it is usefull for some wreck dives. Think about doubles and Nitrox.

Another vote for AOW now other stuff later, perhaps much later. The AOW course is the lowest cost of the options you mentioned with the biggest value. Moreover, it won't become obsolete in a few years.

As you describe it, you're facing large expenses in the next few years, so you shouldn't tie up your cash in unnecessary hardware, which can always be bought if and when you actually are ready to use it. With cameras especially, the rate of change is so high that by the time you're ready you'll be able to buy better stuff for less dough.

In the meantime you'll be able to afford to go diving on a pay as you go basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom