Need Help Understanding Bcs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jefferson Roberts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in class right now working on my Cert for OW and Nitrox. I have the basic kit that all classes make you get. I am looking at slowly starting to get the rest. I will mainly be looking at diving at ship wrecks off the coast of North Carolina USA. I am trying to find information on the differences in the types of BCs and what they are mainly used for. In class we are using one that inflates on a tube around the air cylinder. It is not bad at all but I do not have what I see as enough information if this kind is what will work down the road after getting an AOW cert and looking at going to 120s if need the more O2 for dives. Just want to have all the information that I can get on the subject.

Thanks for all your input.

you description sounds like a so called backinflate BCD.
The BCD should only compensate for the weight of the breathing gas you are carrying and the reduced buoyancy of your wetsuit at depth, so it should be rather empty throughout the whole dive. before and after the dive it should offer enough uplift to carry your equipment. You might want to search for "balanced rig" for more information.
Backplate and wing offer modularity, meaning you can choose a bladder in the right size for your (changing) needs. This configuration does not offer any pockets to stow away equipment, a jacket type BCD will have pockets and possibly lead integration.
An other number to consider is weight if used for travel.
You need to define your needs first, then try to dive different rental BCDs to decide what you like and want to use. You definitely do not need six or eight D-rings or other flashy stuff, though.

As KevinNM has said there are 3 basic types: Vest/Jacket, Back inflate and BP&W.

The main points of each:
Vest/Jacket - Snug fitting with plenty of pockets including weight integration. D rings galore. Bladders for inflation tend to be all around. Bad points are that they normally have so much material that they are positively buoyant meaning more weight is needed to sink. Can squeeze quite tight if fully inflated. Also have way more lift than you could ever want.

Back inflate - Similar in look to a jacket/vest but the bladder is at the rear. This means the lift is where you want it underwater. Normally have pockets and weight integration. Still quite a lot of padding etc so can be positively buoyant.

BP&W - the essentials stripped down. Webbing harness threaded through a backplate (material dependent on the type of diving) and fixed to a wing (containing a bladder) which can be sized to suit the type of diving. Any items to be fixed tend to be to D rings with bolt snaps. The system is configurable to suit requirements with regards to the plate (aluminium for warm water or steel for colder where it can minimise the amount of lead required) or the wing (larger wings can be used for double tank set-ups to minimal wings for use with no wetsuit/sing tank diving).

If you are looking at technical diving at all (such as wreck penetrations, long deco dives etc) then a BP&W is the best choice.

One more fine point: Vest/Jacket and Back Inflate are both types of what is called an "integrated BCD". The BP/W BCD is not an "integrated BCD". Just so you know if you hear someone refer to an integrated BC, they are referring collectively to all Vest/Jacket and Back Inflate type BCDs.

My most common "fun" diving (for me) is diving NC wrecks using steel 120s. I definitely prefer a BP/W. With a stainless steel back plate and a HP120, in my 3/2 wetsuit, I need no additional weight at all. That is really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom