Need Help with weighting for my Fusion dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does take practice, but if I can do it, anybody can. Buoyancy control in a dry suit did not come easily to me!

BTW, I'd highly recommend either rhlee or ae3753 here on this board as people with whom you could work to help get this straightened out. They are both excellent instructors and well trained and beautiful divers, as well as really nice guys.

Hi TS thank you for the encouraging words. I am going to continue to practice. Are you confortable now? How many dives did it take? The instructors you mentioned they are on this board? Thank you again for the post. Steve

Hi Bubble thank you for the information and encouragement. I really like your perspective on the venting on the left bicep. I will keep that in mind and implement that perspective it makes good sense. You words of humbling experiance are well taken. thank you

Hi Bubble thanks for the tip on the valves I will check them and to make sure they are not leaking. I totally agreee a day with a good instructor would be really helpful.....steve

Hi TS thank you for the information on your weight and ballist it really give me perspective. I am 205lbs and used 27lbs in fresh water so I will adjust for salt water. I am using a steel 72ci tank. I do have to work on dive position in the water. I will be checking the valves and make sure no water is getting through. Are the valves one way valves? as in no water can leak in if pushed with out air being exhausted? thank you for your help. steve

Hi Jank, Thank you for the information on you hight and weight it gives me perspective. Do you think that with a little more weight it makes buoyancy easier? Does a few extra pounds help not make the added air not so touchy a greater margin for error? Diving dry is like learning to dive all over again for sure and after 8 dives I do not have my buoyancy right -- practice practice. Great perspective on dampness in the dry suit I will be checking the moisture:D Thanks for the information on Slavonia I did check on a map and saw the coast line that is very cool. I have always wanted to travel to that region. I had a friend from Croatia. You live in a beautiful area with so much for deep history that the USA. Thank you very much again for you help. All suggestion are well take and helpful. Have a great day. Steve

@sfdiver140: Since you were asking others about the drysuit learning curve, I thought I'd share my own experience...
  • < 10 dives: Took a drysuit class, not that comfortable in suit, didn't trust exhaust valve, stayed shallow to practice skills, erred on the side of being a little squeezed (which affected how warm I was), bothered by the extra drag in the water
  • 10-50 dives: Started getting more comfortable, still had to think about operating dump valve and inflater valve, experimented with managing a larger bubble in the suit, started taking my camera underwater again, extra drag wasn't an issue anymore
  • 50-100 dives: Pretty comfortable in the suit, trusted drysuit dump valve now, had confidence in my ability to operate suit, was willing to do more challenging dives, gained experience dealing with drysuit maintenance issues (wrist/neck seal replacement, seal-trimming), got some drygloves and my hands were happy
  • 100+ dives: Don't have to think anymore about operating suit, feels great, aware of limitations of body positioning underwater in a drysuit, really enjoying staying warm; when diving in a wetsuit, during the initial descent, automatically tried to hit the drysuit inflater valve (which obviously doesn't exist!). I watched my buddies make the same mistake. :)
  • Last night: did a 100 minute dive -- for the better part of it, water temp was 55°F. I was warm the entire dive. Afterward, I changed out of my drysuit and into my street clothes. Still warm and comfortable.

I can't remember the last time I did a wetsuit dive here in SoCal.

There seems to be quite a variance in weight needs. I find it all interesting.

Like you, I weigh 205 pounds. I dive with a Fusion and MK2 underwear fairly often. When I dive with it with single tanks (which isn't that often), I usually use a ScubaPro Nighthawk BCD. If I am diving an AL 80 in fresh water with that rig, I will use about 18 pounds. If I am diving a steel 100, I will aim more for 16. I think I could wear less.

Whites had a demo day for the Fusion in our area (fresh water) last year, and the shop with which I work cosponsored it. I ended up being the one who did the work of getting people into the water for their tryout dives after someone else had set them up with the suit. We had everyone in MK2s. I did not put 28 pounds on anyone that day. I have also taught a number of dry suit students, and so far no one has needed 28 pounds.

Lynne has talked about her need for as much weight as she uses before, and I don't contest it. It is in part a reflection of how different we all can be. I do think, though, that there is a HUGE difference between the MK3 underwear she has and the MK2s. I have only worn my MK3s once, and that was with a steel backplate and steel 108 doubles, so I can't make a comparison.

I really wish I could work with you directly to see what the problem might be. My wild hunch is that you are putting too much air in the suit.

Do you think that with a little more weight it makes buoyancy easier? Does a few extra pounds help not make the added air not so touchy a greater margin for error?

This is one of those places where Boyle's Law helps make diving counterintuitive. You would think that extra weight would help you stay down. But your goal is to be neutral during the main, touring portion of the dive. Every pound you carry that you don't need to counteract some unavoidable buoyancy (like your exposure protection) means you have to put some air in your BC or dry suit. The bigger that bubble of air is, the faster it expands as you go up, and the more unstable you become. (Google dynamic instability for a good essay on this.) The most stable condition is the one where you are carrying precisely as much weight as you need to counteract the floatiness of your exposure protection and any padded gear, plus a few pounds to compensate for the gas you intend to use out of your tank.

Now, having said that, I will add a caveat. IF you weight yourself with your suit as squeezed down as it will be if you have been standing chest-deep in water, then you have committed yourself to achieving that same degree of squeeze at the end of any dive where you use all of your usable gas. That can be VERY hard to manage. For this reason, I prefer to weight myself with my suit comfortable -- enough squeeze taken off to be able to move, reach valves, etc. This means I carry a couple of pounds more than the absolute minimum I could get away with, but also ensures I'll be able to vent the suit easily on ascent. It DOES mean I carry a bigger bubble. I have enough experience to do that.

To tell you how long it took me to learn to manage a dry suit . . . I got certified in one. At 20 dives, I could swim up a gradual sloping ascent just off the bottom without corking, most of the time. At about 30 dives, I had an uncontrolled ascent from 70 feet. On my 50th dive, I held my first safety stop in a dry suit. At about 100 dives, I didn't cork any more (unless someone incited it :) ) but I still yo-yoed badly sometimes while trying to hold stops. At about 700 dives, I could move around in the water column with no visual reference and handle some significant task-loading without moving off depth. A couple hundred dives later, I'm finally actually getting some CONFIDENCE in my ability to do that.

I have worked insanely hard on my buoyancy skills. Almost every other diver in the universe has gotten these things more easily. Which is what I meant when I said, if I can do it, anybody can!

I&#8217;m 6&#8217; and 195lbs. With my Fusion, MK2 john and vest, and a single HP100 steel tank, I use 28 lbs. As a comparison, in my 2 piece 7mil I use 18 lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom