Need New Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I ask what is your usual deep dive profile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jax
The biggest problem with this board us that when one asks a simple question everyone scrutinizes the reason why the question was asked.

That's actually one of the biggest benefits of the board. Sometimes you learn something new, or think differently about what you have been doing in the past. I don't know if your dive count is correct, but if it is, maybe read the responses with an open mind.

People with a lot of experience on this board take the time to discuss things with a little more nuance than just saying "here, buy this computer, it's got a very aggressive algorithm and won't put you into deco".

But if you are absolutely sure that you know when you are on the safe side of that "bright line through a grey area" based on the fact that you didn't get bent on previous dives, then why do you need a computer at all?

That's actually one of the biggest benefits of the board. Sometimes you learn something new, or think differently about what you have been doing in the past. I don't know if your dive count is correct, but if it is, maybe read the responses with an open mind.

People with a lot of experience on this board take the time to discuss things with a little more nuance than just saying "here, buy this computer, it's got a very aggressive algorithm and won't put you into deco".

But if you are absolutely sure that you know when you are on the safe side of that "bright line through a grey area" based on the fact that you didn't get bent on previous dives, then why do you need a computer at all?

And to add, most replies are genuine with an intention to help and/or understand what/why the OP is actually asking in order to give the best advice. The replies often contain information that is helpful to many readers not just the thread starter. People are usually just trying to help, they're the glasses I wear when I read posts.

What's your budget and do you anticipate getting into any tech diving anytime soon? You may not need a full trimix computer, however, I think the majority of manufacturers that do provide computers with OLED screens also have multiple gas mixes as part of their feature set. If an OLED screen is very important to you and you are willing to pay more for these features then you have quite a few choices.

Shearwater Petrel, Subgravitiy, Oceanic, Suunto, Liquivision, Mares, etc.. So given the above, your decision should be based on a computer with a user interface that makes sense to you, has a good track record of reliability, excellent customer service, and fits your budget.

As far as the PDC being too conservative... would you be able to describe what kind of profiles you're doing on average? Are you doing several dives a day over several days? Some units will penalize you a little more than others once you start to get into things like repetitive diving, reverse profiles, ascent rates, surface interval, etc.. over an extended period. You may want to take this into account when you look at different models and how that safely fits in with your approach to diving.

Hi folks,

Just got back from a couple of deep dives where I should have not have gotten thrown into deco, but did. I about sick if this Tusa Air Zen....looking for suggestions on my next computer. Here is what I'm looking for

- doubles as watch in dive trips
- hose less
- dual transmitters so I can keep track of son's gas
- big digital display ( No readers in my mask)
- Nitrox (obviously)

Go.

I have an older VT from Oceanic. The only one of your criteria I think it might be weak on is readability. Of course no one can speak to your eyesight, but my contacts correct pretty well and it can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. Again matter of degrees.

The biggest problem with this board us that when one asks a simple question everyone scrutinizes the reason why the question was asked.

Ain't it the truth!!! It worked better for me once I accepted that the self appointed SCUBA Police probably(?) have only my best interest at heart. Through the anonymity of the internet and unintentional poor writing it sometimes comes off as sanctimonious. I try to blow them off. Doesn't always work, but I try.

I recently looked at the Oceanic OCi which I really liked and may just get for myself. You can choose Buhlmann or DSAT setting and adjust the conservative factor, it's a small size so it wearable for daily use, and the LCD matrix screen seems very readable to me. It will read multiple tanks so I think you could sync it to your son's tank, but I'm not sure if his tank could sync to multiple devices. I've been using the Oceanic Geo 2.0 (doesn't have air integration but is very similar) and I really like it so I'm thinking I'll upgrade to their newest A-I product, the OCi.

It appears it has elapsed dive time on the display.

OCi - Computers

EDT elapsed dive time on the main screen or one of the secondary screens that displays after you press a button ? To me it's a vital piece of information and I want to see it without having to press a button.

I saw somewhere that stated EDT was only on a secondary screen and ATR air time remaining is shown on the main screen. I prefer the opposite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom