need new divecomp for pro use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quickening

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

i'm looking for a new computer (i've been diving with an old bottomtimer, a watch and my slate.. :p)

anyway, i found a new job (in egypt, as a DM) and i am in dire need of a new dive computer (the bottomtimer is probably 24 years old, it's an old uwatec, almost needs a car battery to get it working.. kinda.. :p)

my first thought was the stinger, but my instructor proposed the archimede 2 from cressi

anyway, i'm lost, i would need a divecomputer that's safe with sucsessive dives and that's not "to severe" in terms of those type of dives. and it can NOT be a console, i personally hate console's, i can't work iwth them, i don't get used to them and i need my watch and computer on my arm.

could you guys be so kind to give me a few good pointers? about the price, the stinger is within limit's, so, don't propose the D9 with transmitter thingy.. :D

tnx alot guys

Dive Rite Nitek-Plus...$299 retail, two mix capable (21-50, 21-99), back-lit, user replaceable battery, two time-zone watch style, very durable, downloadable.....

Other Suunto computers you can look into would be Vyper. They are coming out with a new Vyper 2. Might also look into Vytec (w/out transmitter). These computers are larger than the Stinger. If you intend to use it as a daily watch as well, I would say that the Stinger is probably your best choice.

Another brand of dive computer you might want to look into would be UWATEC. Have been pretty happy with them myself.

You've opened a right can of worms here bud!!! Just about as many opinions as there are divers.

Personally I would go with the Oceanic Atom or the VT3 depending on weather you like a watch version or 'block'. Both computers give you 3 gas switch capability, you can put up to 3 transmitters on them as well. Plus the ATOM is around £400 cheaper than the D9. You just dont get a compass on it is all.

Thats my 2p worth, sure you will get bout another 100 on what other people like or dont!

yeah, i thought so about the different opinions, but i would like to exclude the computer's that are severe for bottomtime and stuff.. oké, safe diving and all, but a guide leaving the water 20 min's before the group, what's the fun about that right?

and i was going to use it as a watch aswell (narrows down the choice a bit, no? :D)

tnx for the fast reply, this one is going into my favourite's since i got a whole bunch of other question's that i might pop here sooner or later

wub y'all and get wet

and btw, how fast do i have to change the stinger's battery? since i'm in egypt and i need my comp everyday (as a watch or as a divecomp) i would hate to lose it and rely on someone else's computer.. i've seen that you can do it yourself, but i'm not gonna mss up with a 450€ watch just to change the battery

The oceanic/aeris computers have a more liberal algorithm if you want max times.

As a dive pro, you actually don't want a liberal algorithm since you're likely to be diving more aggressive profiles anyway. It will be your job to keep everyone safe and my experience is that everyone ends up deeper than the guide. With a more conservative computer, you're likely to get into fewer "oops, my whole crew went into deco" scenarios.

You can't do anyone any good if you get bent, so dive safe, dive conservatively.

Rachel

P.S. I dive a Vyper but I hate that I can't replace the batteries myself (in theory). Some of the Suuntos have user-replaceable batteries. I'd go for one of those.

tnx for all the help guys

called the diveresort where i'm going to work to know if there's a suunto dealer in the neighbourhoud who can change the battery and he said yes, should take 10 to 15 min's to change it

so, it's the suunto stinger in the end, you have a point about being conservative, forgot about that point of view.. :D

anyway, bought the stinger (new, steel bracelet) for 450 on ebay (was around 600 here in belgium.. :D)

i'm expecting it this week now

I agree with Biscuit. More liberal isn't necessarily better. I personally work with the Uwatec Smart Z. Nothing really compares to the adaptive algorithm. IMHO it's the smartest computer out there. (basically it calculates your air consumption- among other things- and takes it into consideration).

Of course the downside is the price. But if your new employer is a scubapro dealer you can get a real good price on these. Really it's the only way a dm can afford these things on their salary. haha.

I also use the Suunto Mosquito as a backup. the user changable battery is nice but be careful with it as I think it's more prone to flooding.

Back
Top Bottom