Need opinions on my particular situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can a NAUI certified diver get credit/PADI c-card for taking a PADI refresher course? IDK - just asking...

IDK if you've seen this new(er) PADI program either - might work for you: PADI ReActivate Scuba Refresher Program | PADI

I've done plenty of PADI refresher courses for non-PADI divers prior to the new ReActivate program; not a problem at all. While the "ReActivate" program would effectively "refresh" any diver who hadn't been in the water for a while, the description of the program is effectively silent as to whether it would result in the issuing of a "reactivated" PADI c-card for a diver who was not originally PADI certified. However, considering that there would be no underlying PADI OW cert number or original PADI cert date to "re-activate" it's easy conclude that would not be possible. (By way of disclosure, I have not conducted any ReActivate programs, so am not specifically familiar with the inner workings.)

ReActivate%20Scuba%20Card.jpg

I had a conversation with the "powers that be" about several ways that PADI is leaving money on the table with the program... that was only one of them.

I always wonder why people consider doing a scuba class while on vacation to be "wasting valuable time."

There is no reason that learning to dive should not be as much fun as "diving" itself is. Most instructors don't get this... and a lot of students/divers don't either.

For me personally it's all fun, and certainly not a waste. The comment I made reflects only that there are different degrees of fun. I'd rather be diving on a reef while I have access to one, vs. being in the pool. But in this case I think the benefits of using that time for the instructors to get acquainted with us (and vice versa) outweighs everything else.

All of you doing the class will keep you all together, which is obviously and important part of a family vacation.

Very true. The kids are very stoked about the class, and I am stoked about the whole idea of diving together during/after. Come to think of it, my wife is really the only one who expressed even a hint of apprehension. Reflecting back as I wrote these posts has made me realize that maybe she does need to do the whole program start to finish.

If you can't find a shop that will guarantee that you'll have fun learning to dive with them... shoot me a PM. I'll fly down to the Keys and do an OW class for your kids, and you and the wife can join us as a refresher for free. (If you and wife want to get a brand new OW c-card in the process it's easy enough, and cheap, to process the paperwork for two more certs.)

Don't even know what to say to this. Thank you - I didn't know I'd meet people like this here. What an amazing offer.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 03:32 PM ----------

IDK if you've seen this new(er) PADI program either - might work for you: PADI ReActivate Scuba Refresher Program | PADI

I haven't but that might be exactly what wife and/or I need. Thanks!

Reactions: RJP
I always wonder why people consider doing a scuba class while on vacation to be "wasting valuable time."

There is no reason that learning to dive should not be as much fun as "diving" itself is. Most instructors don't get this... and a lot of students/divers don't either.

All of you doing the class will keep you all together, which is obviously and important part of a family vacation.

I suggest you call the shop back and re-frame your question: "We want to have fun on our vacation - including during the certification process - can you guarantee that we'll have fun doing the confined water sessions with you?"

If they hesitate for even a moment, find another shop/instructor.

If you can't find a shop that will guarantee that you'll have fun learning to dive with them... shoot me a PM. I'll fly down to the Keys and do an OW class for your kids, and you and the wife can join us as a refresher for free. (If you and wife want to get a brand new OW c-card in the process it's easy enough, and cheap, to process the paperwork for two more certs.)

I absolutely agree. Although I was totally exhausted (mentally and physically) at the end of each training day, I've never had more fun in my life with my clothes on. Our instructor made the classes and dives fun, exciting and very challenging. That's what made a dive fanatic out of this old man.

Hyrum

Reactions: RJP
It's my humble opinion that a retaking of the class is in order for you and your wife. I especially love it when a family learns together as they will be their best buddies in any event. That way, you're all on the same page when it comes to procedures and signals. However, not all classes are created equal. There's a recent trend on training in a trim and neutral position for a number of us but we are not in the majority by any means. Do your due diligence so that you and yours get the best training. The cheapest isn't always the best and neither is the hardest. Elena and I teach in the Keys, but our time is indeed limited. You can see our schedule at Dive With Elena, Private Scuba Instruction, Dive Guide & Adventure PlanningDive With Elena | Reefs to Dive For! if you're interested.

as an instructor i LOVE seeing parents return to class when their kids! When a long time passes, the class will be new to you anyway. And you can't have a better bonding experience.

I happen to also love e-Learning. That allows me to focus my time with students. Do you really need to hear me talk about the history or diving? Or reasons why diving is fun? We'll talk about the fun anyway! Students go thru the e-Learning and it tells me where their gaps are and what areas they really understand. I can then have shorter class time but more productive time. Not to mention that younger divers adapt better to the online education model. No teen really likes listening to to the old, bald guy tell why diving is fun. :D

I happen to also love e-Learning. That allows me to focus my time with students.
I agree. Who needs the sage on the stage? Your time on vacation is better spent learning and applying skills rather than sitting through classes you could do online before you get there.

I read that the PADI online course doesn't give you access to the source material after you finish up, and we won't get the books. Not happy about that, especially given the price tag. After discussing this fact with my family and the LDS in the Keys, we decided to buy two of the latest open water PADI books/tables, the corresponding DVD, and start from square one together. We're excited!

Last edited:
It depends on who you go with. NASE provides indefinite access to all class materials and a pdf download for a manual for most of their classes.

JarrodS

I agree that the full Monty is appropriate for both of you despite your former experience. Personally for various and sundry reasons I have been dry for almost 2 years and I can already see changes in thinking and gear for instance. The basics will be the same for you but what has changed and what you have forgotten will be surprising.

Get the most engaging training you can get. Interactive E-learning is probably better than books at home an limited face time.

Having the same instructors for confined and open water is a plus.

Separating parents and children in the water is plus.

Blunt question..... If local diving is so bad will there be enough (travel?) opportunity for your sons to develop as divers and for you two to really get back up to speed or is this a flash in the pan indulgence?

In any case, today's instruction is much less intense than what you probably experienced 25 years ago. I urge the 4 of you to be reading here and elsewhere, ask questions and truly be involved with the training process. Many courses barely get past basic disaster mitigation and do little to train you (especially your sons) as divers. If the 2 of you were proficient as divers before starting your family that is a body of experieince you can draw on that can be a great gift to the boys.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom