Need opinions on my particular situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blunt question..... If local diving is so bad will there be enough (travel?) opportunity for your sons to develop as divers and for you two to really get back up to speed or is this a flash in the pan indulgence?

I've decided to set aside a significant amount of our disposable income over the next several years, for family diving trips. We're about an 8 hour drive from very good diving, and 15 hours or a short plane ride from world-class diving. So while not convenient, it's not too big of a stretch to give them the opportunity to develop over the next couple of years. We're about a 1.5 hour drive from the nearest diving opportunity, and will probably hit that once in awhile to spend time together and keep skills fresh.

In any case, today's instruction is much less intense than what you probably experienced 25 years ago.

I am already getting that sense, just after interacting with a few shops. They seem very nonchalant about training students. That's definitely not how it was when I did it. At times it almost felt like I was "trying out" for the privilege of certification. One person got kicked out of the class for their own safety.

If the 2 of you were proficient as divers before starting your family that is a body of experieince you can draw on that can be a great gift to the boys.

I was a proficient cold-water diver (Channel Islands) and pole-spear fisher, so this is the great hope. Thanks for the reply.

Adding in my 2 cents.

a. Take the class as a family -- you'll have a great time together (and maybe learn some things you didn't know).

b. I am a fan of PADI's eLearning system and encourage my private students to use it. Although you don't get any written materials, you do get access to all the materials for a year (as I understand the system) but, quite honestly, how many people really go back to their OW books or Video after a year of diving?

c. Finally -- my suggestion -- do the pool work locally and then the OW dives in warm, clear water as a family. I had a grown couple do that last year and they had a ball -- including then insisting their adult kids take the class and go with them on vacation.

Wanted to follow up...

We ended up mail ordering the books/tables and the PADI OW DVD. All four of us worked through these materials together as a family in the 2 weeks before our trip to the Keys. Once we arrived, the four of us had our classroom review/exam time, first pool session, and first open water dives together with an instructor. Even though the weather didn't entirely cooperate, and my wife got sick on the first boat, we all ended up having a fantastic week. My wife and I went on the second boat with our boys for their certification dives, but mostly let them have that experience independently with the instructor while she and I went off and dove alone together for the first time in about 20 years. That was great. The boys really bonded with the instructors (who were excellent) and breezed through all the skills. We had an awesome time diving together the rest of the week - we even caught a few lobster. I'm proud to say that our boys are both very good divers, for their experience level. With a little more maturity and experience they will be ready for the AOW class, which I would love to do with them. Next summer, perhaps.

For me personally, this was like riding a bike. I remembered almost all of my theory and training and after just a couple hours of practice it felt like I'd never left the water some 15-20 years ago. It's great to be back!!

DSC_1189.jpgDSC_0801.jpg

Diving was great and diving with friends is great, but being able to dive with one of your kids is just a world beyond that. Hope you all have an excellent time diving together for many years to come!

My 2psi. 25 years as an educator both teacher and administrator.

1- E-Learning: There are many learning styles. If you and your children work well with see it, read it and test it mode of learning the the PADI e-Learning stuff is excellent. I do recommend additional reading and discussions.
2- Taking it with your children. It totally depends on you and your kids. If you have a good work together relationship then it will work well and be a lot of fun. If you are a Dad Knows Best and I'm the Boss kind of guy then it won't work so well. The key word is are you willing to learn WITH your kids. If so it can be a great shared experience.
3- I'm all for dive training on vacation. Just plan enough time.

I envy you. My sons are several hundreds of miles away and I don't get to spend as much time as I would like with them. Diving together sounds like family heaven.

Dive careful, have fun

the old guy
Hyrum

The OP has already done the course together, the e-learning and their 1st family dive vacation. He sounded quite happy about all three :)

Back
Top Bottom