Need packing advice for lobster tackle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless the noose is specifically prohibited by the published fishing regs, it's legal. As it stands, the regulations only state that the lobster must be landed intact, and cannot be speared or otherwise injured. This also means that, if you catch one, you can't remove the tail before you get back to the harbor (this is necessary in order to enforce the spearing ban & size limit).

Probably, the reason why people don't get fancy with lobster catching equipment is that, in most places, finding a legal size male spiny lobster during open season is a rare occurrence. So, carrying around extra implements on the off chance that one might be found may be more trouble than it's worth. There may be some places in Hilo where you can reliably find lobsters, but here on Oahu it's really bad - much worse than most of the other marine life that you'd want to eat. It's been several years since I've seen a legal spiny lobster, and the number of babies coming in each year is very low - far less than it should be. I'd be surprised if overfishing is the sole culprit, but there's clearly a problem. If you find a good lobster spot, take good care of it - leave plenty behind and don't tell anybody where it is.

Slipper lobsters are very durable. While spinies can lose legs & antennae pretty easily, I've never had a slipper get hurt being hand caught. I've also rarely seen them in places where you'd need a special tool to catch them. Sometimes one will be in a hole with a large eel, but when that happens I figure I'll just leave it alone and chalk one up to the ocean.

Thanks Matt, we only bring intact bugs back to shore. And we don't harm the spiny lobsters we noose (the decades of experience, natch). Slipper lobsters are so rare that I've only caught a few dozen in my life...just picked them up.

Hilo is not the only place where we will be diving on B.I. Who knows, maybe we will find a secret spot! :)

So, the consensus is, I'll put my noose and tickle stick in a mailing tube. Thanks all.

It seems different on the Big Island. I see them fairly regularly even on day dives, including nice sized ones - but part of that is because I like to poke around where they like to hide. By contrast with the ones I've seen in the SoCal Channel Islands, the HI bugs seem to be found shallow and along the shoreline bench or cliffs, way out of reach. I can't recall ever seeing one in a hole out deeper. I wonder how habitat on Oahu compares to the BI, with it's more recent volcanic activity. There could be less relative predation on the BI as well, I don't know. I hear opening night is busy!

there's plenty at 200+
Oh, good! We can free dive for those. :rofl3:

Seriously, we don't need to see dozens of lobsters, one nice juicy one makes a great meal. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom