Need political uprising updates/Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh sorry I forget to share that I am an Egyptian. I agree that Egyptians don't revolt, but what we are seeing now is something that has not happened in 4,000 years. This is why I am saying we can't generalize and make silly comments like that. I just didn't like the use of language that's all especially on a forum that I respect and use frequently.

This is in response to Sting. I don't want to start a political argument here, but at the same time I can't just sit and read this and say nothing.

You're entitled to your opinion. Living there and working there i'll just say im certain you're completely wrong.

I think yesterday has proven that there is a lot the Egyptians can accomplish that many people like yourself did not think they can.

A protest on a day off work? Today was a work day - hardly any turned up. I doubt the "million man protest" planned for tomorrow will have more than 10,000 at most. Again its a weekend so a day off work.

This will not stop until Mubarak leaves.

On what grounds do you base that claim? Apathy generally rules everything in Egypt. Don't forget a lot of them dont WANT Mubrarak to leave in the first place.

So watch you language next time

What language? English offends you?

The locals are just restless, have no stomach for a fight and a lot of them are just lashing out without any real idea of what they actually want. Its already dimmed, they may have a token few more noises but ultimately its a few small areas of some cities and towns and thats it. 90% of the country are unaware its even happening.

but what we are seeing now is something that has not happened in 4,000 years.

Eh? Other than the protests 25 years ago. Or the ones in 2005? Or the ones in 2008?

If im wrong so be it but im firmly convinced from what i know of the country and people there that in 3 months time Mubarack will still be in power, people will still be moaning but nothing would have changed.

As mentioned before, I don't want to go down this road. I just didn't like it when you said that Egyptians don't have the balls to remove their corrupt government. There were more than 10,000 today. You should see what is going on in Suez, Mansoura, Cairo and Alex. I am sure you wouldn't even hear about these things in the tourist dominant cities. The metro system in Cairo is shut down. Again only time will tell what the result will be.

I just wanted to point out a few words that I wasn't happy to hear. I think a little respect should be given to those who died yesterday and today and those brave enough to continue over the next few days. I think it takes a lot more than balls to stand against the violence that was going on.

I know exactly what;s going on in cairo and the numbers were far less than 10,000 today in total spread over 4 cities.

It takes balls to see things out long term. It doesnt take balls to trash some public areas for 2-3 days.

As i said, im convinced the will for change isnt there, apathy will take over and there isnt a critical mass for change. Mubarack will survive this.
With the protesters there is no leader, no common policy, no common goals. Its just a "protest about anything" situation.

People protesting on their day off then going back to work isnt exactly revolution.

A democratic egypt will mean Muslim Brotherhood control. Then its goodbye all freedoms!

That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. It is funny you say that because that is the same thinking that the corrupt government is using to stay in power. Time will tell!

Its the truth. My own view is Egypt should be democratic. If that means a strict islamic state so-be it. If they vote for it.
Id love them to get rid of Mubarack. That would lead to the above but thats a consequence of democracy - you dont always get the government you want.

However it wont happen. As i said, the will for change isnt there and they lack the balls for a protracted messy fight.

String, my dear, as usual, you don't know sh!t.

Living in Dahab for a couple of years doesn't make you a political analyst specialized in the Middle Eastern matters!

No one, and I mean no one, including the presidency in Egypt, US and other countries knows what this will end up into.

Do you know, for instance, that the Egyptian Stock Market, has lost 5 billion USD in one day? That's what you call a "day-off". And BTW, the big investors have run away outside the country with their money. Tomorrow at 10:00 PM CLT the names will be on private TV networks (as announced by Emad Adeeb, one of the most famous TV announcers).

Police has completely lost control over the city of Suez. The third field army is in the streets. Like it or nor, it's now the word of the Egyptian army, not anyone else, including the US administration.

BTW, protesters are still in the streets of Cairo up till now. It's past 3:30 AM CLT. The police can't handle the situation any more. Electricity, cellulars, land lines (and obviously Internet) have been cut in down town Cairo. Street wars in (at least) Cairo, Suez and Alex. And that's what you call a one-day protest.

Tomorrow (today here), it is expected to continue as is, with may be some escalations. Friday is another day.

Do you know, for instance, that the Egyptian Stock Market, has lost 5 billion USD in one day?

Yes. Because im capable of reading.

That's what you call a "day-off".

Day off work they protest. Working day most of them go back. Its hardly organised is it?

BTW, protesters are still in the streets of Cairo up till now. It's past 3:30 AM CLT. The police can't handle the situation any more. Electricity, cellulars, land lines (and obviously Internet) have been cut in down town Cairo. Street wars in (at least) Cairo, Suez and Alex. And that's what you call a one-day protest.

Odd how all 5 people i know in Maadi and Zamelek are still online, some via ADSL lines and some via mobile phones then. Going by that im assuming they have electricity too.

The large protest was yesterday, far smaller today, the government is responding preparing for Friday which will likely be it's biggest day before it all calms down.

There are so many unsubstantiated claims originating from everywhere now its impossible for anyone to know whats happening, even people in the same towns. The live ammo thing hasn't been proven by anyone at all yet either as the first things were shown to be standard rubber bullets. No doubt they WILL resort to it but there is so much random unsubstantiated stuff coming out from everywhere nobody knows what is going on.

Ive still seen nothing to convince me Egypt as a whole has the balls to see this thing through. It'll get very very messy with the clamp down but 3 months down the line it'll be business as usual.

Odd how all 5 people i know in Maadi and Zamelek are still online, some via ADSL lines and some via mobile phones then. Going by that im assuming they have electricity too.

Down town Cairo is Tahrir, Ramses and the areas in between. What do Zalamek and Maadi have to do with that?

I'm currently in Cairo with on communication problem whatsoever, but that does not contradict with the FACT that there's no electricity, cellulars, land lines, Internet and actually TRANSPORTATION in down town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom