Need recommendations for diving Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernexposure

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
G'day all. I need some assitance/opinions/advice. All are welcome.
I will be travelling to Australia for 5 weeks, mostly on business. Arriving Feb 3 and leaving March 10th.
First week in Sydney, second week in Perth, third week in Brisbane and then back to Sydney for another week. The fifth week is my own and I intend to go up to Cairns and try out Pro-Dive Cairns and do my AOW at the same time. Three days/two nights and seems like a good deal.
If I can get an opportunity to dive anywhere in the first four weeks I'm going to jumo at the chance.

Can anyone provide their opinions on Pro-dive Cairns or a better recommendation?
Any advice on the other locations would be appreciated.
I have never dived warm water or good vis and am really looking forward to this new adventure.
Thanks in advance
Bryan
:D

hello and lucky you

just some quick suggestions for sydney:

Shore Dive:
Kurnell for weedy sea dragons
Bare Island for Red Indian Fish
Balmoral Nets, 8ft dive but around the nets, dozens of sea horses
North Bondi for some fishies and depth

Boat Dive:
The Apartments or Colours (will you be aow by then?)

Road Trip:
2hrs north to Nelson Bay (Pro Dive Nelson Bay) for boat dives
1hr south to Shellharbour - great shore dives (Leisure Coast Dive-Ron and Julie)

hope these give you some ideas and ask away if you have any questions

cheers

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=158613

Really can't beat the price with ProDive. The boat will likely have a number of OW students, but that's a positive for a new diver as the dive sites aren't going to be too challenging, and at least some handholding going on. At least, that's my impression. I took my AOW with them, and you're expected to read the book before going, the book they hand you the day before you head out. :confused: There isn't a lot of teaching done; more a series of guided dives, with a chance to ask questions. If I'd known, I would have picked up an AOW book before I left to study... The delta between the trip and the trip + AOW is what, AU$50? You'll pass either way, most likely, but you'll learn more with more prep time.

If I was going back there (and I probably will at some point, since I have family down there), I'd probably look at the more expensive options like Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom, to see some of the Coral Sea. That and check out the non-GBR diving as well around Australia.

Hi Bryan,
I did my OW and three dives towards my AOW with ProDive Cairns. They were a very professional operation - the boat was crowded but comfortable and the food was excellent. The instructors on our trip were first class - cant rave enough about them. We had a lot of fun and it is certainly excellent value for money. As far as the dive sites go, as mentioned by Fordan they are good for newbies (as I was) and pretty (my first ever night dive was unforgettable - hunting squid, rock lobsters, enourmous turtles and an octopus) although as you'll hear over and over - the further north you go in QLD the better the diving... which is why I leave on Undersea Explorer this Saturday for six days! ... whoooop! So exciting.
Anyway,
Have a fantastic time, whatever you decide!
Caitlin.

Almitywife, Fordan and BlueSun; thanks for your replies and advice. I'll be certain to follow-up on your suggestions. I'm looking forward to having a great time. I've never dove in water any warmer than 20c (68f) and visibility greater than 6m (20ft).
Can't wait!!

Northern....another thing, we say dived down here...not doved :wink:

you might get some more local info on www.diveoz.com.au, especially with the Perth dive info

cheers

almitywife:
Northern....another thing, we say dived down here...not doved :wink:

Yeah, I have trouble with that one. I'm sure a few other cultural differences will be noiticed EH!:D I'll also probably supply a little entertainement, such as "watch the little pink guy burn".

Thanks for the link.
Bryan

Hi, I'm also going to be in Cairns sometime in Feb or March. Do you think the vis is much worse because it's rainy season? One travel agent I emailed recommended Spirit of Freedom's 3 day trip, flying back from Lizard Island. Another agent said those dives were pretty bad and he recommended staying at outer reefs with Kangaroo Explorer. Also, since it's rainy season I was thinking perhaps I'd dive instead in the islands farther south, maybe from a dive shop on Heron, Lady Elliott or Hayman. Any suggestions much appreciated! Finally, how bad is the rain during rainy season; ie, do you think I'll be able to hike/drive farther north from Cape Tribulation?
kar

I've had a great time in Byron (about 2-3 hours south of Brisbane) at about this time of year. I personally find Cairns to be a bit of a hole, but found both Port Douglas (1 hour north) and Townsville (3 hours south) much nicer.

Back
Top Bottom