Need recommendations for SD dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzDiver23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Early next month I will be heading to San Diego, staying near Sea World. I'm looking for recommendations for a beach dive site that I could knock out pretty easy. I've done plenty of ocean dives but this time I'll have a friend with me that is a beginner.So I'll need to keep the dive near beg-int level. On top of all this I'll need a local dive shop where I can pick up some rental gear and tanks. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

:D

La Jolla Shores will probably suit you.
OEX Scuba and Kayak Shop in La Jolla San Diego is a dive shop a short two blocks from the beach.
Look at their site tab under "dive sites" for some idea of what's there.
They'll sell you a DM-guided tour if you want that.

There are a couple of Sport Chalets near where you're staying, and they have a fairly large rental department, especially the one on Midway, because they have an on-site pool. Here's a link to the three closest.

http://www.sportchalet.com/corp/index.jsp?page=storeLocator&zip=92106

The Shores, as mentioned is a good location. If you're not used to looking for (and finding) the wealth of life that lives in the sand and detritus, you won't see much unless you start down into the canyon. Straight out and South from the main Lifeguard tower, you will encounter some great rock structures starting around the 50' contour, and continuing South towards Vallecitos Point.

The Marine Room reefs are an excellent shore dive, but they're shallow, so you'll need calm seas and a 2'-3' high tide or larger to dive there. Lot's off rock /reef and kelp structure with tons of life from large to small.

La Jolla Cove is another excellent shore dive, but there are stairs down to the beach, and the Cove itself is seldom clear. Using the Cove as an entry point works well though, and you can head straight out towards the yellow buoy, or turn right passed the Cove and head East along the cliffs and caves. Entry and exit are steep, as the Cove gets deep (relatively speaking) close to shore. It's an easy entry / exit though if the Cove is calm.

Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom