Needs vs. Wants !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunto Vytec is a great computer I own one...that being said they are discontinuing the making of it, The Vyper is becoming a 2 gas integrated computer with transmitter for the same price as the vytec was without transmitter.

Talked to sales rep about a month ago at lds.

I was really interested in the pc downloads and did it the first 4-5 dives I had with it. But the 300 since then I have not and removed the software from my laptop even.

Jason

Just a perspective from someone who has the same diving habits as the OP. I am lucky to dive a couple times a year when I visit nice warm water locations =). I had the opportunity to dive for the last 3 years in a row for the first time in a long time and rented the big stuff each time (everything except mask/snorkel/fins/light). The last time I went I dove two days and had one faulty piece of equipment on each day. I am putting my life in the hands of others by expecting their maintenance to be up to my standards, and the two faulty devices: day one... regulator, day two... dive computer. Luckily all it cost me was one dive on the first day.

I now have everything except a tank (ok, purchasing the dive computer in few days...) and as much as it sucks to haul it around, there are light weight options for almost everything, especially if you don't abuse or use the equipment non-stop, as people with my diving habits would be hard pressed to do. I don't think you can go wrong spending the money on a good 1st and 2nd stage and computer for yourself, if you change computers each day during a vacation is there a point to it tracking your dives and information? As for the BC, I got one because I was tired of having to get accustomed to a new one each time I go diving, that is going to be personal preferrence.

Just my thoughts.
RK05

er...buy nothing. Ok, a mask, a shortie, maybe. You want your own computer? Get one of those Mares puck things, maybe. Enjoy your 15 dives a year and don't stress.

backplate and wing, I ask you....

WHAT ARE YOU ALL BSing about,

OP knows he wants/needs good divegear.
Give him and the industry a break.:D

IMO any diver renting gear each and every dive,is a danger to him self and his(same ocean)buddy.
Not knowing/understanding your gear makes you a problem to happen.

My advice would be,

Get a good(not the most expencive)reg.
Get a good (AI)computer.
Get a (travel freindly)BC
And yes you do NEED your own mask,(snorkel) fins and booties.

and have FUN on your(15)dives(try to make it more/much more):D

What reason would you have for suggesting an AI computer for a diver doing 15 rec dives a year? What benefit does he get for the extra $500 - $1000?

Tks for this great info.
I think I'm ready to buy now.
One comment I did not expect but most accurate,
<<You need more time to dive>>
Since if you keep doing what your doing, you'll keep getting what your getting.
Thanks for getting me to think as how to change what I do. (JF / Montreal).

Just be careful. My 15 dives per year has turned into 50+ dives per year and more gear than some dive shops keep on hand.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

The more diving you do, your needs and wants will change. I was all over AI when I stated diving and now I don't like it and don't use it any more. When your dive computer or AI/Pressure fails you will need to replace all three which is exactly what happened to me. Looking at two numbers - NDL/Pressure is no more complex than looking at your AI number - Get a computer, get a pressure gauge and get a compass.

An Al Backplate with wing with continuous webbing is a simple, lightweight, and highly effective setup which will travel well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom