Nekton Mayaguana Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't use nitrox that week, so any applicable refund wouldn't have applied to me. Their site states that for any fill under 26%, they will refund your individual tank cost or pro-rate your weekly nitrox cost. I didn't ask any of the nitrox divers if they were going to try to seek a refund.

That's so awesome, that even the boat freely admits their NITROX system sucks such that they have already 'positioned in' potential refunds ! :shakehead:

Any reputable diveop would have refunded your $$$ that you paid for nitrox. Besides $195 is a complete ripoff to begin with.

Another reason that I'll never dive with Nekton.

PS> Go with MV Spree to the Dry Tortugas. There is no separate charge for Nitrox or at least there wasn't last year when I dove with them.

I dove with SPREE ...MANY.....times while they were still 'here' in the Texas Flower Gardens, and NITROX is included as 'standard' in the trip price, meaning the trip costs the same whether or not you even use NITROX......also, SPREE can even do HP (real 3500 psi) fills if your tank is rated for it. SPREE does this because they consider the extra safety margin NITROX provides for high-intensity/frequency liveaboard diving to be invaluable, hence they REALLY try to encourage NITROX usage....moreover, the SPREE's NITROX system works without fail and provides properly filled tanks.

I should clarify that on the 3 dives that we did as "drift" dives, we were on walls. I averaged about 80-90 feet on those dives. The DM had us begin our ascent to the safety stop when the first person hit 1000 psi. I didn't have a problem beginning the ascent at that pressure, I just know that most of my dives average 40-45 minutes and I had enough air when we began ascent to go at least another 15 minutes on those "drift" dives. I preferred the regular, moored dives, where I was free to dive and surface at my pace.

We knew about the mandatory shore excursion ahead of time and that it was an additional cost to each of us and knew that the ship would not be serving dinner onboard that night. The buffet on land was terrible and we ended up eating it at about 4PM, getting back on board at 6PM, which was the normal dinner time. They made some snacks for us after we got back onboard, knowing that we ate early and might be hungry later.

I completely understand the reason for the shore excursion, that they are trying to promote visitation of the island. I just disagree with how it was conducted. Everything felt like it was being forced upon us, at least in my opinion.

Again, that was the only real gripe I had with anything the whole week.

Boy, if that happened to me, I'd HIGHLY resent it! It astounds me that the boat doesn't realize the damage the forced/worthless 'excursion' is doing to their reputation and business.....in this desperate economy, with the scuba/travel business in such trouble and so competitive, I'm amazed they are this shortsighted!

Some of my pics from this same trip.
divesites.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8193.jpg

IMG_8310.jpg

IMG_8339.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

PICT1861.jpg

PICT2066.jpg

PICT2077.jpg

PICT2118.jpg

PICT2190.jpg

PICT2298.jpg

I'll be on the Rorqual on Mar 27th and had a few questions. Thanks for the great trip report.

Did you find you used your snorkel much/at all while you were there? Also, I know the ads say that this boat will eliminate sea sickness. I am not normally susceptible to sea sickness, but this will be my first liveaboard and I am not sure if it is worse than normal. Did you see the need for sea sickness meds?

Its not going to eliminate it, I managed to get quite queazy a couple of times on these boats, but in the same conditions on a mono hull I would have been feeding the fish as opposed to being merely uncomfortable for an hour or two.

The design makes a significant difference if you are suceptable.

I would take the meds with you but unless conditions are forecast to be poor would not take them.

I'll be on the Rorqual on Mar 27th and had a few questions. Thanks for the great trip report.

Did you find you used your snorkel much/at all while you were there? Also, I know the ads say that this boat will eliminate sea sickness. I am not normally susceptible to sea sickness, but this will be my first liveaboard and I am not sure if it is worse than normal. Did you see the need for sea sickness meds?

take your snorkel and keep it down on the dive deck under your seat... you never know when a pod dolphins come to play! When they do, everyone will make a run for the deck for mask, snorkel, and fins! :D

seasickness is greatly reduced on the Nekton boats unless there is some really rough water. There is a slight motion to the boat, but after the first day you won't notice it at all... those submerged pontoons work well to stabilize! :D I took a package of ginger tablets on our trips but didn't really need them. (Bahamas trips, not this itinerary)

robin:D

I was on the same trip and wanted to add a few things to the trip review.

I was a little nervous about spending an entire week on a boat because I can get seasick very easily. I had no problems on this trip. I put a patch on once not because I felt sick, but more as a precaution to avoid getting sick. I had the patch on for about an hour and it washed off after my first dive. I didn’t find the need to replace it. I felt fine all week.

The crew was excellent! After our dives they were very interested in our opinions of the sites. Even asked for us to share our thoughts on the names of some of the sites and let them know if we could come up with better names. After one of the drift dives many of the divers suggested that a mooring be set in that area. After hearing our thoughts about the site the captain marked it in his GPS. They plan to return to the area and see if they can set a pin. It was exciting to know that we were some of the very first to dive in that area and that our input could be used to establish sites.

Parts of the trip sort of felt like we were on an expedition. A lot of the sites the crew hadn’t even dived yet and they eagerly solicited our info on the dives to supplement their site maps. Because the sites were brand new, a few of the briefings consisted of a quick look overboard by the DM and a depth reading from the captain. That was pretty cool going into the unknown. They wanted to know if we found anything interesting that they could point out to other divers or add to their maps.

The sites were extremely undisturbed and pristine. No kicked over corals, not even a fin swipe in the sand. You could tell by some of the curious and/or skittish fish that they hadn’t seen a diver before. The reefs and walls were very healthy. There are not many locations that can claim these attributes. Many of the sites had some incredible topography: giant coral mounds and large swim thrus, deep cracks, and overhangs begging to be explored—and those are just the sites we saw—there is so much more around the island that no one has seen yet

I’m sure the drift dives will be replaced by regular moored dives once all the moorings are put in place. It is a work in progress. The captain chose to do drift dives so we wouldn’t tire of the same 3-4 sites that they had set up at the time. I’m sure each week they’ll be adding more moorings for new dive sites.

Hats off to the crew for still maintaining their regular duties on the decks while being tasked to send out work crews to drill and cement the moorings. I’m sure they had to forego any scheduled breaks they may have had and definitely worked longer shifts to improve the dive sites and keep the customers happy. In talking to some of the crew, they seemed to enjoy the break from the norm in drilling the new pins. For many of them, it was the first time they’ve gotten to do anything like this before.

One of the crew members on our trip was a marine biologist. She gave a few presentations in the evening before our night dive. I think having her on the boat was an extra perk. She was very knowledgeable and eager to answer questions and discuss marine life.

One evening a hammerhead shark was spotted. I missed it, because I was changing my batteries in my camera and didn’t make it up to the sundeck in time. Another evening a whale was spotted. I was able to make it up to the sundeck in time to see it. That was wonderful! Other fish seen were very large groupers, file fish, some curious barracuda, lots of jacks, large crabs, nurse shark, puffer fish, sea biscuits, turtles, stingrays, eagle rays, trigger fish, etc.

Tour—no trip is perfect and since this is a new itinerary, there are sure to be some bugs to be worked out. The tour wasn’t bad. Maybe they could add several scheduled stops and talk more about the history of the island, tour the old airbase, talk about the pirate influence, local jobs and life in general on the island. In any event, it was just a few hours. What else we were going to do while our gear dried? They could even do a powerpoint presentation showing some unique aspects of the island while we ate at the resort.

Many of us took the opportunity at the resort to comb the beach and several of us came back with some nice shells and even some small corals that had washed ashore.

It is easy to focus on the negatives and forget about everything that was great about the trip. The positives far outweighed the negatives. And, all in all, I think everyone on the boat enjoyed the trip and were happy to be some of the “pioneers” in this uncharted destination.

I enjoyed my week on the Rorqual and plan to dive with them again.

rudymc1977,
welcome to this board.
thank you for the trip report.
you worded a very detailed and positive report.
it seems that other divers had different observations.
have you thought about your next trip?
regards,

rudymc1977 - thanks for your report and welcome to SB. You should fill in your profile though so we can get to know you better and therefore have a reference for your report (where you have been, how long diving, etc.)

My husband and I were on the very first Medio Reef trip back in 2008. It was awesome being the first ones to dive several of the sites, give our opinions about whether a pin should be set there or not, and to name them. Ron was the one who came up with H2Oasis for one of the sites. :D
Our crew was also out drilling the mooring pins daily, which was fun to chat about with them.

My thoughts about that land tour are that you are right, it is a new itinerary and lots of bugs must be worked out. The criticism they get now will help them to make it better and understand what works and what doesn't.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom