Nekton Rorqual Jan 23-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on that trip too. Concur with all 1 T Submariner had to say. I had heard the boat was a bit "rough" and it was, but I went to dive and that is what i did (27). Regrading the question on Nitrox %. I saw 28-29% pretty consistently all week (one time got to 30%).

Hey! We were on that trip too. I must say that the St Croix pier absolutely made the trip. The Bonaire town pier dive pales by comparison. After diving it I am surprised that I haven't read more about it in a dive magazine somewhere. And on the Rorqual we got to do 5 dives there!

I agree about visiting one dive site too many times and I would have liked to have done the north side more. I did like the dives that we did there at the north side.

The ship is getting dated but the price of that cruise is very cheap by liveaboard standards.

The Pier was great! From what I understand the Bonaire Town pier is no longer a dive at all. It was a pretty good dive though.

Dated um no. I didn't think the boat was that dated. In need of Maintenance/Overhaul yes. Broken water pumps, Doors that don't close, Deckplates that are no longer attached are not dated items.

The Boat is a Great concept if they fix the things that are wrong/worn out they will be far better off.

1 T Submariner,

Do you know what percentage Nitrox they were able to fill to?

I'm going on the Rorqual to Mayaguana on 02/20 and was planning on using Nitrox if they can fill to a reasonable level. I've heard mixed reports that they've both fixed the issues of low percentages and also that they are still having problems with the compressor. Thanks.

We used Air. There where a few times the Nixrox tanks had to wait a few minutes. Rialki thanks for answering the %.

On our Itinerary there was only one site that I would have benifited from the extra Bottom time of Nitrox. With the AL80 I use enough air that most of the time air supply is my limiting factor.

1 T Submariner,

Do you know what percentage Nitrox they were able to fill to?

I'm going on the Rorqual to Mayaguana on 02/20 and was planning on using Nitrox if they can fill to a reasonable level. I've heard mixed reports that they've both fixed the issues of low percentages and also that they are still having problems with the compressor. Thanks.

...well, it's not just a case of the boat not being able to supply divers with a consistent NITROX %....which is bad enough, but also their boats are the only liveaboards I've ever heard of that RATION NITROX such that only a certain number of divers can even have NITROX......there are only so many NITROX 'spots' available ! :shakehead:

We used Air. There where a few times the Nixrox tanks had to wait a few minutes. Rialki thanks for answering the %.

On our Itinerary there was only one site that I would have benifited from the extra Bottom time of Nitrox. With the AL80 I use enough air that most of the time air supply is my limiting factor.

...now that you mention it, I do remember reading a very good trip report (by Roatanman I think) where I learned Nekton has abandoned using steel LP 95's and has switched over to AL 80's....so your comment seems to confirm the 'switch' of the type of tanks supplied.

I was on a recent Nekton Rorqual cruise. The crew was great towards the passengers. The food was also very good. One of the two engines broke. The Nitrox was at 28-29% and cost a whopping $250 extra.
Henry

I was very sad to hear they abandoned the Steel 95 tanks. That was one thing I really loved about diving with Nekton. I believe on our last trips with them that nitrox was $200, which we felt was a bit expensive, so $250 each would be tough to cough up....

Unfortunately, the cards have been slowly stacked against us returning to Nekton for another trip in the forseeable future....which is disappointing since we absolutely adored our 3 trips with them. :(

Yes, I will miss the steel 95's and won't be buying Nitrox now that they are using the 80's. I am going to MYaguana with them this March, and will post an update on the condition of the Rorqual. I really hope they are actually working on the refit of the Pilot, and will see her back in service.

Yes, I will miss the steel 95's and won't be buying Nitrox now that they are using the 80's. I am going to MYaguana with them this March, and will post an update on the condition of the Rorqual. I really hope they are actually working on the refit of the Pilot, and will see her back in service.

I'd be OK still using NITROX with AL80's, but not OK with the inability to supply EAN32 and not OK with the $ 250 price, especially with only EAN 28-ish!

$250 is pretty darn steep for any blend of Nitrox. We only charge $4 a tank (up to 34% though a lot of divers choose 28% because of the depths) at Truk Stop Hotel in Chuuk and that's about as remote as you can get. Maybe the Nektons are trying to use this as a way of making a little money since their overall rates are relatively low. I worked on the Pilot for a short time and it was a real mess at the time with several serious issues. It needs a lot of work but I might actually go as a passenger if it was refitted well.

Back
Top Bottom