Nekton Rorqual Jan 23-30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$250 is pretty darn steep for any blend of Nitrox. We only charge $4 a tank (up to 34% though a lot of divers choose 28% because of the depths) at Truk Stop Hotel in Chuuk and that's about as remote as you can get. Maybe the Nektons are trying to use this as a way of making a little money since their overall rates are relatively low. I worked on the Pilot for a short time and it was a real mess at the time with several serious issues. It needs a lot of work but I might actually go as a passenger if it was refitted well.

I agree that thie price is steep, especially considering that they are only providing approximately 28%. I logged nearly 3000 dives on the Pilot pre-nitrox, frequently doing 4-5 dives a day and while I am a fan of nitrox (and a nitrox instructor), I don't believe it is necessary or that it provides an extra margin of safety. In over eight years of working on the boat (before nitrox was available), I can count on one hand the number of incidents of DCS. The real question is does this slight decrease in nitrogen loading (assuming 28%) provide for "safer" dives? Based on my experience, I would say definitely not.

I agree that thie price is steep, especially considering that they are only providing approximately 28%. I logged nearly 3000 dives on the Pilot pre-nitrox, frequently doing 4-5 dives a day and while I am a fan of nitrox (and a nitrox instructor), I don't believe it is necessary or that it provides an extra margin of safety. In over eight years of working on the boat (before nitrox was available), I can count on one hand the number of incidents of DCS. The real question is does this slight decrease in nitrogen loading (assuming 28%) provide for "safer" dives? Based on my experience, I would say definitely not.

Especially coming from an "instructor", I don't believe I have ever heard anything so ridiculous as what you just said. Do you really think that Nitrox does not provide an extra margin of safety?

Does anyone out there agree with this guy???????????????????????

Especially coming from an "instructor", I don't believe I have ever heard anything so ridiculous as what you just said. Do you really think that Nitrox does not provide an extra margin of safety?

Please do not take what I wrote out of context. What I thought I clearly pointed out (obviously not to you) was the real question is not is nitrox safer, but is the expense of using nitrox (especially only a 28% mix) on a Nekton trip worthwhile?

I base my argument based on the following facts:

1. I worked for Nekton for ten years (8 working on the boat, 2 in the office).
2. During the eight years I worked on the boat I saw 5 documented cases of DCS. Consider that during that period I saw thousands of divers do 25-28 dives a week. WITHOUT NITROX.
3. I am not a math wiz, but based on the above figures, it is a fraction of a percentage point where a diver got bent diving on the Nekton Pilot.

So I ask the question again, how much safer is it, and is the high cost and low percentage mixture worth it? My answer is still no, based on many years of experience on this particular boat. Where does your analysis come from? Please tell me HOW MUCH safer you are using a 28% mix.

As an aside, when I began to work for Nekton I was a nitrox instructor and I tried for many years to get nitrox on the boat. Management did not put nitrox on the boat until after I started working in the office. I have used nitrox for years in technical diving and certified lots of nitrox divers and I do believe nitrox does add a safety factor. Conversely, it also adds a degree of risk as many sites on the Nekton itineraries are wall dives where it is possible to "accidently" go to deep. My point was and is, one must decide if the low percentage mix and the high cost are worth it in terms of safety. Based on my experience, I still say NO.

Last edited:
Do you really think that Nitrox does not provide an extra margin of safety?

Yes. (And please check your "?" key, I think it got stuck)

Do some research and among other things, you will learn that nitrox is not capitalized. :eyebrow:

But seriously~ It is simply another optional tool in diving. You don't always need everything that is available to you to make for a successful dive plan.

I counsel instructors to dive on air so that, if needed, they may exceed nitrox depth limitations if they need to pursue an errant deep diver.

Yes. (And please check your "?" key, I think it got stuck)

Do some research and among other things, you will learn that nitrox is not capitalized. :eyebrow:

But seriously~ It is simply another optional tool in diving. You don't always need everything that is available to you to make for a successful dive plan.

I counsel instructors to dive on air so that, if needed, they may exceed nitrox depth limitations if they need to pursue an errant deep diver.

Thanks Doc. You raise another intersting point. One of the arguments I always received from management for NOT putting nitrox on the boat was the number of "errant" divers who exceeded the 130' depth limitation (and we got quite a few). If a diver were to exceed depth limitations with nitrox, the results could have been tragic. When measuring risks vs. benefits, this is another factor which should be factored into the equation.

Please do not take what I wrote out of context. What I thought I clearly pointed out (obviously not to you) was the real question is not is nitrox safer, but is the expense of using nitrox (especially only a 28% mix) on a Nekton trip worthwhile?

I base my argument based on the following facts:

1. I worked for Nekton for ten years (8 working on the boat, 2 in the office).
2. During the eight years I worked on the boat I saw 5 documented cases of DCS. Consider that during that period I saw thousands of divers do 25-28 dives a week. WITHOUT NITROX.
3. I am not a math wiz, but based on the above figures, it is a fraction of a percentage point where a diver got bent diving on the Nekton Pilot.

So I ask the question again, how much safer is it, and is the high cost and low percentage mixture worth it? My answer is still no, based on many years of experience on this particular boat. Where does your analysis come from? Please tell me HOW MUCH safer you are using a 28% mix.

As an aside, when I began to work for Nekton I was a nitrox instructor and I tried for many years to get nitrox on the boat. Management did not put nitrox on the boat until after I started working in the office. I have used nitrox for years in technical diving and certified lots of nitrox divers and I do believe nitrox does add a safety factor. Conversely, it also adds a degree of risk as many sites on the Nekton itineraries are wall dives where it is possible to "accidently" go to deep. My point was and is, one must decide if the low percentage mix and the high cost are worth it in terms of safety. Based on my experience, I still say NO.

I'm glad I stumbled onto your post. Good to hear the opinion from someone who actually has experience with people diving nitrox, other than themselves. Good info!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom