Nekton vs Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent point Dan! You're 100% correct.

I certainly have no opinion about whether one liveaboard is "better" than the other, but instead just shared how we made our choice. There were actually a couple of more reasons why we chose Nekton over the others in Belize, but I chose not to add those.

Hi Snowman

I'm new to this forum also.

Looking some information on the Solmar V and saw your thread on the Nekton vs Aggressor so I hope you find the info helpful.

Have never dove with the Aggressor Fleet. But can give you some info on the Nekton, as me and my husband have dove everyone of her iteninaries several times. We have dove 3X, with our 4th coming up in May (5th) out of Belize with Captain Ephy and her crew. Every dive trip we have a great time. The Aggressor was always in sight - one or two balls down. I think it comes down to the pocket book on this one.... look on the websites, Aggressors are more expensive.

As for the Nekton - hope this info is helpful. Nitrox - they were pumping between 25% and 27% last February and still charging you full price for the week. Camera table, film processing adequate, light table to check slides. Comfortable salon and accommodations, although I personally feel the head/showers could be a little bigger (heck I'm a woman). Dietary needs, were always accommodated all you need to do is ask, although I'm a water/tea/coffee snob. My husband lugged 4 gallons of spring water, packed my own loose tea and coffee beans. Ample supplies of drinks (and alcohol), if you like canned name brand soda/beer, you can purchase in town, the Nekton has a cooler the guests use to place personal drinks in. Place your room number on the can or bottle ensures the other guests don't consume what you have brought. Plenty of shaded and sunning area for all guests.......Speaking of guests the Nekton can hold 30 divers; but has plenty of space to get away if you need quiet time.

If you need more info, email me gfi@comcat.com. (haven't set up my profile yet).

Snowman:
After far too long a wait, I am going for a live-a-board in Belize during late May. I have the option of the Nekton or Aggressor. Any thoughts as to which is better? Criteria are comfort and quality of diving (not necessarily in that order).

PS: I just found this forum. What a great place, it seems I will be spending some time here.

I've been on half a dozen different live aboards. I just did the Nekton in Belize in Feb. 2005. It isn't the prettiest boat I've been on. We were pretty disappointed when we first boarded. It's a little rusty in spots, the outdoor carpeting could stand to be replaced, and they could use a new surround for the jacuzzi. However, that disappointment melted away very quickly.

Dispite having 32 divers aboard, it was extremely comfortable. The dive deck was not as crowded as expected because of their open deck policy. Rather than everyone doing their dives at the same time, the dive deck opens right after the morning briefing, just after breakfast, and is open until just before lunch. You can dive whenever and as much as you like. Then they move during lunch. The dive deck reopens after another briefing and is open until supper. It was great. Some people headed into the water the second the briefings were over, others choose to wait a while to let there meal settle a bit more.

Also, the crew and service is the best I've seen. They thought of everything. They wait on you hand and foot, and constantly remind you, all you have to do is ask. They kept everything exceptionally clean. We got clean bedding several times during the week.....including the comforters. Even though they said we should place towels on the floor if we wanted fresh ones, they gave us fresh every day.

You just can't beat the price and the value of the Nekton. Even though they don't provide alcohol, they do stop on the way to the boat so you can pick up anything you might want. If you're having wine for dinner, they provide wine glasses, open your bottle, and wrap it in a towel for you. They mark all of your beverages with a grease pencil and keep it all in a huge (6') cooler, which worked out just fine.

And, I have to say, the swath design is everything it's cracked up to be. We couldn't believe it as we were floating in back of the boat, watching the waves crashing against the pontoons, and the boats didn't move a bit. We could see the other live aboards moored near by just bobbing up and down and rocking like crazy. We were very glad to be aboard the Nekton.

Chris

I've done the Aggressor, Peter Hughes, and the Nekton in Belize. They were all good and they dive the same reef at the same time. The SWATH on the Nekton I don't think gains you anything since the waters are fairly calm anyway, but its draft does keeps it away from the Blue Hole which is an interesting dive, but not the prime attraction. In my opinion the deciding factor is how many people are on the boat!

Snowman:
After far too long a wait, I am going for a live-a-board in Belize during late May. I have the option of the Nekton or Aggressor. Any thoughts as to which is better? Criteria are comfort and quality of diving (not necessarily in that order).

PS: I just found this forum. What a great place, it seems I will be spending some time here.

As you can see from my sig I like the Aggressors. I was on the Belize Aggressor last year and it does all the same dives except the Blue Hole which I got narc'd on anyway. If you can afford it, the Aggressor has it all. However, it is way more expensive than the other boats and the Nekton and Peter Hughes are a great value.

Found this today. "Police investigating mysterious death of Nekton Rorqual crew in Bahamas"

http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s050621c.html

Although it's the Bahamas, I've seen people eliminate resorts/boats/destinations because of one bad article. I think it's a little extreme but whatever it's their choice.

So I wonder which boat Snowman wound up on, was supposed to be the end of May.

I've been on the Sun Dancer twice and it's a very nice boat with great service and all. I toured the Aggressor, the "public" areas were nice and the dive deck actually looked bigger and nicer than the Dancer, even though its a slightly smaller boat (not that the Sun Dancer dive deck is anything to sneeze at.) I didn't get to see the cabins on the Aggressor but I heard they're not quite as nice as the ones on the Dancer. The one thing I saw on the Aggressor that I didn't like, was the dining area was very cramped and stuffy. I don't think I'd want to eat in there, I'd probably haul my food off to another deck someplace.

Can't speak about Aggressor. I can speak my personal opinion regarding Nekton.

I have been on Nekton Pilot twice and Nekton Rorqual once and LOVED all three trips. Favorite trip ever was Belize on the Pilot. Virgin dive sites due to new moorings just installed - we were the inaugural trip for their Belize destinations. At that time we hit the entire length of Belize. Central Belize was definitely worth a full week by itself! This is the one trip I must make again if I can ever get the sig other interested in live-aboards again (other than BlackBeard's water camping) :11ztongue So many places to go, so little time & $$.

Nekton cabins are very comfortable. A tiny bit cramped if you bring a LOT of hard sided luggage, plenty of space for the average live-aboard packer. Use soft-sided gear bags and no worries. Private baths in each cabin. You don't need more than a t-shirt and shorts each day. I liked the unlimited fresh and hot water for showers. There's also warm showers on the dive deck, ample camera tables and rinse tanks, large sun deck with canopy over part of it for shade and fresh air, large dining area and large salon area with DVD's, books, etc. Food was always very good and contantly being offered (Sleep, Eat, Dive, Eat, Dive, Eat, Dive, Eat, Dive, Eat, Dive, Eat, Sleep).

Crew is VERY safety conscientious and usually very interactive with the guests. They've participated in DAN studies for years. There's always a crew member on duty to dive with customers if they wish for a dive guide.

The convenience of the dive deck is awesome. Set up your gear once then just get the tank topped off after each dive. Getting back on the boat is the easiest of any boat I've ever been on.

Only thing I didn't love about the boat was the metal ceilings for the salon deck. Stompers on the top deck can annoy sleepers in cabins on the salon deck. Captain includes a demo of boat etiquette during intial briefing, but stompers easily forget to tread lightly! I've heard these ceilings have since been replaced with much quieter material so this concern may be outdated.

The previous post about the death in Bahamas is referring to a Nekton employee that was solo free-diving. This should not reflect negatively on the dive operation as they allow employees to dive when they are off duty. Pure speculation, but it sounds like the boat was in repositioning, no mention of customers having their trip cut short due to this tragic event.

I've done two of the Aggressor boats and been on the Nekton Pilot several times and the Rorqual once. Here's my two cents:
Aggressor Advantages:
1) Not as many people on the boat. Not a huge issue for me but some people like that. The dive deck on the Nekton can get a little cramped when everybody on a full boat wants to dive at once. Usually after the first day this isn't a problem. Also I think meeting people from all over is part of the fun of live-aboard diving.
2) The boat itself is a little nicer. Wood trim, TVs and VCRs in the room. That sort of thing.
3) Soda, beer, and wine are provided by the Aggressor.

Nekton Advantages
1) The boat is roomier to me even with a full compliment of passengers. That nice big sun deck up top gives you more room to spread out.
2) For people that have sea sickness issues the swath design gives a little smoother ride. However, you will still know you're on a boat.
3) A trip on the Nekton is cheaper.

I'd also give the edge to the Nekton crew. I've always had great luck with them but they may just be personnel preference. The two Aggressor boats I was on had good crews too.

Bottom line is if it's a choice between the two companies, I'll pick the Nekton. But for places where there isn't a Nekton boat I wouldn't hesitate to go on an Aggressor boat.

Luke

I've been on the Nekton Pilot in Belize and have to say that it was extremely rough while we were there and the SWATH was a god-send. I would go back on the Nekton in a heart-beat.

For the record, never been on an Aggressor trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom