neoprene neck seal and scootering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Underwater Tourist

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard that when diving SM, neoprene neck seals sometimes have small leaks due to the side to side head movement to check gas on SM.

So I was curious if anyone had any problem with a neoprene neck seal while scootering against the flow and checking gas or just moving the head around

Neoprene seals always leak a bit. The more you move your neck, the more they leak. Roll them over, and an Apollo Bioseal may help keep more water out.

IMO, the longevity and reliability of neoprene far outweighs a bit of leaking.

I use neoprene neck seals, no leaks ever but I don’t scooter so can’t speak to that.

Reactions: L13
I have never seen anyone wearing a separate ring around their neck so a factory neck seal doesn't leak.

I have a neoprene neck seal and I always scooter. When I first switched over to the neoprene I would get small leaks but I’ve found that if I wear the neck seal’s fold up high on my neck and make sure my hood goes past the fold, it does not leak at all.

The warmth and lack of irritation to my skin is amazing, I’m never going back to silicon or latex. My only concern is cost to replace when it finally fails but at the rate I’m going it will be cheaper than the dui zip seals I had been using.

and anyway that freezing cold squirt of water down your neck then your back shocks you to better alertness

I wear a neoprene neck seal. I will ONLY wear a neoprene neck seal right now feeling them vastly superior in every single way. For me, anyway.

I am in the water very nearly every day of my life.

I teach DPV classes with some regularity.

And this is the first I have ever heard of this being a problem that people know about.

After having my Seaskin Ultra with a neoprene neck seal for a few years now, the last time I used it (a week in FL 1 month ago), I was getting wet on some dives. I believe the neoprene of the neck seal has stretched out over time and finally started to let some water in when I turn my head certain ways.

That was all with no hood on. I agree with @lostsheep that having a hood overlap it makes a big difference.

My Ultra's neck seal was built into the suit. When I was done diving in FL, I dropped my suit off at a local shop to have the built-in neck seal replaced with a Si Tech neck ring setup. I will use that with a Waterproof replaceable neoprene neck seal going forward. I'll have the best of both worlds. Super warm and comfy neck seal, that is also quick and easy to replace when it gets old and stretched out. (I do have a size XL head...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom