Nerve agents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, deep ocean currents can bring heavy particles to the surface. For instance, deep sea currents bring minerals up at the continental shelf like phosphorous and iron. Though apparently alot of these shells have been dumped in shallow water.

DavidPT40:
Don, deep ocean currents can bring heavy particles to the surface. For instance, deep sea currents bring minerals up at the continental shelf like phosphorous and iron. Though apparently alot of these shells have been dumped in shallow water.
These are not particles. Mustard does very poorly in water. About 60% is gone in the first 24 hours. By the time those currents can bring those liquids up, the overwhelming majority would be hydrolysed and the rest would be so dilute as to not matter. Not all of the containers/shells will rust through at once.

A bigger concern is dredged up material. That puts high concentrations of material near people.

I am far more worried about the drums of radioactive waste. The early research reactors were pretty messy machines and some of that stuff can create a path of destruction for a very long time.

Heres a few tidbits I've found:

Mustard gas can be fatal. When exposed to seawater, it forms a concentrated, encrusted gel that lasts for at least five years, rolling around on the ocean floor, killing or contaminating sea life.

Overseas, more than 200 fishermen over the years have been burned by mustard gas pulled on deck. A fisherman in Hawaii was burned in 1976 when he brought up an Army-dumped mortar round full of mustard gas

But if radioactive waste is the true problem to watch for, we have more than enough on the east coast. Just to start : Radioactive waste has been dumped, a Russia nuclear submarine has sunk, and nuclear bombs from a B-52 (or was it a B-47) fell into the coastal atlantic.

DavidPT40:
Heres a few tidbits I've found:

Mustard gas can be fatal.
No argument there. It can be pretty ugly.
DavidPT40:
When exposed to seawater, it forms a concentrated, encrusted gel that lasts for at least five years, rolling around on the ocean floor, killing or contaminating sea life.
That is at odds with my copy of FM 8-9. There is a newer edition out there, so I will have to check on it.
DavidPT40:
Overseas, more than 200 fishermen over the years have been burned by mustard gas pulled on deck. A fisherman in Hawaii was burned in 1976 when he brought up an Army-dumped mortar round full of mustard gas
If it had rusted out and dispersed, there would have been little or no effect.
DavidPT40:
But if radioactive waste is the true problem to watch for, we have more than enough on the east coast. Just to start : Radioactive waste has been dumped,
Back in the day, the Navy dumped reactor resin at sea. That practice has stopped. That much cobalt-60 could get to be a big problem.
DavidPT40:
a Russia nuclear submarine has sunk
several, in fact, plus two US nuclear submarines
DavidPT40:
, and nuclear bombs from a B-52 (or was it a B-47) fell into the coastal atlantic.
You are thinking of the Tybee bomb, which was jettisoned by a B-47 on 05 February 1958.

I seem to recall there was at least one other bomb not recovered in a different incident, although I will have to check on it.

Regulator... Check... Backplate... Check....Mask and Fins... Check.... Atropine.... CHECK CHECK!!!!

Back
Top Bottom