NetDoc's nifty new tank rack...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I got the idea from Cave Country Dive Shop when I was having my tanks filled. My tank garden was unruly at best. There were tanks standing up, falling down behind a door and ponies running all over the place. It was a headache and dangerous to see a round bottom steel slip and slide from where I had it leaning. So, when I saw the rack at Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs Fl, I got permission and then took a picture and jotted down some measurements. I like working from center measurements and the easiest way to get those is to measure edge to edge. I then asked Tara how she liked them and she said that they should be a half inch wider per tank to accommodate the big steels with the side mount harness on them. I'm glad I asked as I dive side mount with some fat steels.

TankRack01.jpg

TankRack02.jpg

TankRack03.jpg

TankRack04.jpg

TankRack05.jpg

I measured 18 7/8" edge to edge width at CCDS and so I increased it to 20". I also measured 10 5/8" edge to edge height, so I increased it to 11". That gave me an overall width of 61 1/2" and a height of 34 1/2". You have to add the last member to keep the edge to edge measurements right. I got a dado blade from Harbor Freight, as I didn't want to make a bazillion 1/8" cuts. I then went to Lowes and got 5- 8' 2X4ss and 16- 8' 2x2s. I made dado cuts on the 2X4s to accomodate 4 2X2s to make the front and back frames of the rack. I played with camfering the edges of the tank rails and felt that it allowed the tanks to hang too low since they are now 9/16" further apart. I finally left them square, as it was far less work and the tanks just sat better. I had to drill 104 pilot holes and that was getting quite tedious, so I made a jig to facilitate the measuring and drilling. I used 3/4" off the edges so I was able to use the same jig for both the 2X4 and 2X2 rails. I used a dab of glue for each joint and #8- 2 1/2" screws to get everything together. At the end, I decided to use some scrap 5/8" plywood as a top. I added a 2X2 as a back stop and it came out looking great.

TankRack06.jpg

TankRack07.jpg

TankRack08.jpg

TankRack09.jpg

TankRack10.jpg

TankRack11.jpg

Somehow, I have a lot of 2X2s left over.

I have a totally unrelated question, the third picture with the 2 bottles with regulators on them. Do you happen to know there make. I have 1 that looks the same I use for drysuit inflation and really should service it.

Thank, Al

I have a totally unrelated question, the third picture with the 2 bottles with regulators on them. Do you happen to know there make. I have 1 that looks the same I use for drysuit inflation and really should service it.

Thank, Al
I believe they are made by Coltri or Coltri Sub. I got these from 123Scuba. Here is the link: Regulators: Scuba Gear and Diving Equipment

I believe they are made by Coltri or Coltri Sub. I got these from 123Scuba. Here is the link: Regulators: Scuba Gear and Diving Equipment

Thanks, I think that may have been where I got the regulator some years ago. Now I'll start looking for a service kit.
BTW very nice job on the tank rack. I should probably do something along the same lines as I have around 18 tanks.

Al

Somehow, I have a lot of 2X2s left over.

It looks like there's plenty of room for a few extra tanks... I should leave a set down there :D!
Nice job.

Should we give you a new nick? Maybe something like "handydiverdoc"? Looks great!

Thanks, I think that may have been where I got the regulator some years ago. Now I'll start looking for a service kit.
They have them and seats as well. They don't come with the service kit.
It looks like there's plenty of room for a few extra tanks... I should leave a set down there :D!
Nice job.
Mi casa, su casa!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom