Never build a boat, story of the Ho-Hum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can’t wait to dive off the Ho-Hum in September!

How do you like running that setup with twin outboards spaced so wide? I was just thinking about the feasibility of doing that the other day, it's cool to see someone who did it. I imagine it ventilates the props when you take a turn or roll but that might not matter in a dive boat.
I can ventilate the outer prop if I am playing when nobody is on the boat. At any turning speed acceptable with passengers on board, it has never been an issue.
The marina maneuverability is unreal. Even with a keel, I can spin it and put it about anywhere.

The marina maneuverability is unreal.
That's what I was thinking too. I captain twin outboards and takes me a bit to "spin it on a dime". Your setup could match a kids merry-go-round. Not sure about driving out in rough waves with 1000 lbs of gear that high up and tippy even if strapped. But Newton's law says anything in a straight motion will continue straight. Nice dive boat, congrats on the hard work!!

That's what I was thinking too. I captain twin outboards and takes me a bit to "spin it on a dime". Your setup could match a kids merry-go-round. Not sure about driving out in rough waves with 1000 lbs of gear that high up and tippy even if strapped. But Newton's law says anything in a straight motion will continue straight. Nice dive boat, congrats on the hard work!!
When I removed the engines, I dropped the floor 14 inches. The gear is actually riding lower on the racks than it was before with conventional benches. The boat is considerably more capable than the passengers. It is comfortable in 3-5 waves. I have had it in 7 footers a couple of times coming in and had the entire boat puking.
Our waves are considerably different on the Lakes than the ocean. Our period is super short so you get hammered by the waves instead of riding them.

Interesting to hear, thanks for the info. I really like that setup for the dive ladder space, maneuverability you mentioned, and redundancy of twin outboards. I was fantasizing about something like a worldcat as a dive boat but man they're pricey.

I wonder how small you could go with this setup... picturing twin 40's on an 17' skiff with a dive ladder and tiny a-frame a micro dive/survey vessel...

I wonder how small you could go with this setup... picturing twin 40's on an 17' skiff with a dive ladder and tiny a-frame a micro dive/survey vessel...
It is only money, you can make more tomorrow. Give it a shot. I will probably have a few 250s for sale this winter.

Reactions: OTF
Ken Merryman's Heyboy has an elevator on it that he has used for 20+ years.

My boat we built the elevator in 2018 for its only charter season.
20190422_183040.jpg

Ken Merryman's Heyboy has an elevator on it that he has used for 20+ years.

My boat we built the elevator in 2018 for its only charter season.
I see the Heyboy fairly often. I haven't ever seen an elevator on it. He has a nice fins on ladder.
1689303062883.png

Back
Top Bottom