new airline restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't the TSA notice a guy with five or six tubes of mascara? :blinking:
I'm just frustrated that I've got my carry-on scuba system figured, and now I'll be checking in the baggage anyway! It's minor, considering the state of things, but still....

lemurs2:
So with the new airline restrictions in place does anyone think they'll let us bring our scuba gear as carrier on, it's not liquid. Has anyone had a prob with it?

I am in Cozumel now. I flew from Tulsa to Kansas City to Cancun (don't ask why, I live in Texas) and the only thing the TSA did was take my regulator out and rub their magic sniffing stuff on it and let me go. Really in my opinion, the TSA personnell were even more friendly and helpful than usual. There were definitely a lot more. I felt that the passengers were more helpful also. It seems that the media and the government have down a pretty good job of informing people and people seem to take it more serious.

caymaniac:
Did you realize that there are 2000 applicants per day to TSA?

Quite. The reason for my friend not being hired is the funny part. Since there is a chronic shortage of TSA inspectors, not wanting someone who is already trained in the techniques and has supervised inspection at the largest courthouse in Cook County, Illinois strikes me as patent absuedity.

But then, I am a minority in this world. A rational thinker.

lemurs2:
So with the new airline restrictions in place does anyone think they'll let us bring our scuba gear as carrier on, it's not liquid. Has anyone had a prob with it?

I'm flying to Cayman from L.A. this weekend, and was told by Delta that the liquid filled compass on my computer is verboten and cannot be carried on. I carry it on so some lowlife in baggage handling doesn't steal it, I mean so it doesn't get "lost". So if we don't allow carry on except for your laptop, a book and some meds, then the check in process should go much faster. Take all the excess screeners not needed because of limited carry on, and have them do security in the baggage area. Once people quit "losing" things, they'll check in more bags and again, passenger check in becomes faster. Should work, no?

My daughter Sheryl flew out of O'Hare this morning with her c-card and log as carry-on and a BCD in her checked suitcase. Her report was< "Except for the longer lines and taking off my flip-flops, there was no difference."

We keep our equipment where we dive. If we go someplace else, I will have it shipped to our destination.

I went to Tahiti right before the whole liquids/gels thing came up and flew back after the new rules were in effect. I carried my reg and computer (Uwatec Smart Com with liquid-filled compass) as carry-on. No problems either way, either on Air Tahiti Nui or Alaska (for the second leg from LA). In fact I think they eyeballed my gear closer on the way out than coming back.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom