New, and Nervous!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome,

I've only been certified myself for about a year and a half now. All the gear, hand signals, etc, can be pretty overwhelming coming at you all at once. Just remember to relax, review everything, and ask questions. When you're in the water, BREATHE, pay attention to your buddy, and make sure your buddy is paying attention to you....

But most of all....HAVE FUN!

Anya, you might get a kick (and some moral support) out of reading the journal of my open water class (link is in my sig line). If I can get through the class and get certified, anybody can -- And that was almost 600 dives ago! This is an incredibly addictive, exciting, and wonderful sport, and you're about to find that out.

And don't worry if you don't think you aren't getting it, after my first day of confined water I promised myself I would finish the course to prove I could, but I just *didn't get* the whole neutral bouyancy thing, even though everyone else on the course seemed to and that diving wasn't for me.

By the end of the course, I was hooked and close to 400 dives later, I am probably more so (I get ratty if I can't dive for a while, I swear its withdrawal symptoms!).

Welcome to diving, never be afraid to ask and never stop enjoying yourself :)

Relax, listen to instructions and remember your pool training. Then just enjoy the dives and know you are on your way to incredible adventures.

Welcome to he board.
As an Instructor I will just say to relax and have fun. Listen to the instructor and it is very important that you pay attention to the Physics and physiology part of the class. Don't get scared when you find out all the things that can go wrong they are all preventable just by being safe and following the rules. I have been in this sport for the past sixteen years and thankfully nothing has happened (knocking on wood). Be safe. Dive withing your own limits and enjoy the journey your about to begin

Welcome, Anya, and best of luck with your first dives. You'll do fine, I'm sure! :)

Thank you guys so much for all your advice and support!! My first class is in....4 hours and counting, and I couldn't BE more excited!! I feel so much better, thanks to this wonderful board. Hopefully, I'll be around a long time!!

Hey, you'll be in the water before my wife and I! Our classes don't start until September (we wanted some time to research our equipment, and for our LDS to order it if necessary).

We're finding that magazines like PADI's Sport Diver and videos featuring dives are a great way to whet the anticipation, along with reinforcing the incentive for learning. We want to be in some of those pictures and places, and until we're ready, it's so cool to see what's waiting for us.

Congrats on taking the first step! You'll be fine, we were all there at one point and know what's going through your mind!

Listen, learn, and have fun! (and don't hold your breath)

Hi ! Congrats on DIVING into something new and exciting !! haha.....it's totally normal to be nervous... but hopefully excited aswell! its a totally different experience than anything you have ever done ! It does take a little while to get used to breathing underwater and sorry but the crappy gear most places offer you for your training... but the more you do it and then get your own gear you will LOVE LOVE LOVE it ! Have fun ! Oh and also just wanted to say .... I found that it was very overwhelming to learn about all the safety and dangers that it freaked me out.... BUT you do need to learn about what to do in every situation....and i think GOOD instructors dont sugar coat anything! Good Luck and have TONS of fun !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom