new and ready to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZGreen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello all,
I am a new diver living in San Diego, and too pumped to rent for a while before i buy. I feel I have done my research and picked out a pretty solid package, but am always open for the suggestions and advice of the experienced. (thats why this site exists right?) this is what i am initially getting:

BCD: Mares Dragon MRS (non-AT)
REG: Oceanic GT3/CDX5
OCTO: Sea Elite SX40
COMP: Aeris Elite T3

also Henderson Thermoprene 8/7mm hooded wet suit

I guess what I'm looking for is any experience with any of these, reliability, some tips for use. I know the GT3 is mechanically balanced, how does that fair compared to pneumatically balanced 2nd stages? Also, suggestions to alternatives in the same price range that may be more suited for San Diego diving. Thanks for any input!

My advice to myself is pretty simple. Buy name brand gear that has been selling on the scuba
market for some time and purchase in a price range between the middle and the top.

I have used Aeris and Henderson for many years. Aeris provided EXCELLENT service when problem arose.

Mares has been around forever and use to be the very top end gear. It may still be. I don't know

Oceanic is solid. Has built a name for itself.

I dont hear or see too much Sea Elite here in the coastal southeast USA

I use nearly all Mares gear, and it has worked well for me, my original Mares regulator, died on me this year after 25 years of use (abuse).

I plan to pick up the same suit you are planning to buy on my next trip to the US in May, I like the idea of a front zippered semi dry.

I just have a couple of suggestions.
1- The Sea Elite is a house brand for Divers Supply and I actually like it. But, you might want to get an octo that matches your primary strictly for servicing reasons. You might want to ensure that your LDS is an authorized service center for whatever brand you get.
2- When it comes to BCDs, fit is everything. Be hesitant to order online if you have never tried it on. Or, just be ready to send it back if it doesn't fit perfectly. You will be in close contact with that piece of equipment on EVERY dive you do. Make sure it feels right.
3- NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY. BE PREPARED TO WANT TO UPGRADE IN THE NOT TO DISTANT FUTURE.

Have fun.

The only thing I don't like is the BCD. Too much padding, fluff and nonsense. Padding = more lead needed to get neutral. Weight integration isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. I thought I needed that when I bought my first BC, and ended up going back to a weight belt. BC pockets are typically useless when you have weights and air in it. Why would you need all those air dumps? You only need one, and its the same one that air goes into.

Welcome to the board!

Obviously you can see all gear specks and reviews online. The extra advice that could be given here would pertain to you telling us why you have chosen those pieces of equipment in particular.

PS Where are you located in San Diego? If your looking for some diving check out my website @ Ocean Explorers

I've got the very same Reg and Octo... Love it... are you looking at a reg package from Divers supply? That one is a great value.

thanks all for the advice! esp about wanting to upgrade soon. As I know thats exactly how I will be, evident by the fact I buy almost everything immediately after being certified!
Michael, do you have a local shop in SD? DO you regularly go on dives around the area? I live near downtown on naval base 32nd street. mainly dive La Jolla shores so far (all 4 dives under my belt) I dont really know any divers in the area yet, but want to get out there as much as possible!

Steve,
yea i put the deluxe package together thru divers-supply, just was a great value. how do you like the adjustment knob on the GT3?

thanks all for the advice! esp about wanting to upgrade soon. As I know thats exactly how I will be, evident by the fact I buy almost everything immediately after being certified!
Michael, do you have a local shop in SD? DO you regularly go on dives around the area? I live near downtown on naval base 32nd street. mainly dive La Jolla shores so far (all 4 dives under my belt) I dont really know any divers in the area yet, but want to get out there as much as possible!

I agree that you should just be 100 percent sure thats what you want. Though I got lucky twice I have found BCDs to be very time consuming to zero in on that perfect one the first time around.

Depending on who you ask youll get diffrent responses from diffrent people but most name brands that are out there are very reliable.

Hope you have a great time in the diving world too :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom