New Bare SB System Drysuit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's terrible news. I love dealing with Bare but the lack of pockets and a pee valve is a deal breaker...looks like i'm back to a tls 350.

Few weeks ago I received my Bare SB drysuit. Comparing to my old crushed neoprene dry suit it's really a big step ahead in comfort and performance. It performs really well, its stretchy and light. I can easily reach my valves and I feel unobstructed both on surface and during a dive. I can finally do and undo myself w/o any help of my buddy. The suit breathes on surface but some condensation occurs anyway. It takes longer to dry comparing to trilaminate suit. In the beginning I had some minor zip leaking problems, but it's fine now and Tizip is really easy to use.
After 10 dives I am really satisfied with the investment. I use one piece SB fleece + SB vest. I was afraid about the insulation capabilities of this fleece but after few 60+ min in lakes in the Alps with water temperature about 4 degrees Celsius I am pleased with it. I don't feel any cold with or without using argon to fill the suit. The warmth is similar like my old setup (3.5 mm crushed neoprene Seac Sub dry suit + Bare Hi-loft Polarwear) but now I need 3 kg weights less. The same underwear combination I used in Adriatic sea with temperatures between 10 to 15 degrees C, but I could skip wearing vest, I suppose.
I use dry gloves without any problems. I don't use original base layer. Anyway, the system still performs well with different baselayers, both synthetic and merino.
Regarding the pockets... Bare upgraded the original design and now SB suit comes with one integrated pocket on the left side that is big enough for a spare mask and wet notes. Not perfect solution, but probably acceptable for most divers. It's pity not to have pee valve, I admit.
Regarding performance I am really happy and I can recommend this suit. The only thing I can not tell yet is durability. So far so good. :)

I was looking forward to perhaps picking one of these up but no PV? Notta chance! The pockets issue is concerning to me. I'll stick with my Fusion!

The fusion always reminded me of something a ballet dancer would wear so I could never buy one. I did just test a Bare SB and it is truley the next step in dry suit design. I will post a full review after a few more dives.

I want one of these, anyone know if you have to buy the complete system, or can you just buy the drysuit?

Any more dives on the SB? I tested one for 7 dives and liked it. Only problem was it was a 2XL and I'm a large. Did you get a custom fit? I am between this suit and the Bare HD Tech. Where in Eastern Canada do you dive? Warmth is a consideration as Newfoundland's water temp can get down to -1c. Any update would be appreciated.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the helpful insight here. I've been lurking on this thread for months and the new Bare suit inspired me to take a drysuit class and do some shopping. I've been diving monterey for years in a 7mm wetsuit. Ready to warm up. The class went great and I really enjoyed the comfort of the rental suit vs. a wetsuit. Ready to purchase a drysuit for myself and the Bare SB looks like a winner.

Questions around sizing and options for those who've used the SB suit.

They didn't have the SB system at my LDS, but we tried on on one of the other BARE models - I think it was the trilam in a size L. And I wore a fleece onesy underneath.

I am 6', 178 or so. Size 10 feet. Fairly fit. On the BARE size chart, it says I should go with an ML. We tried on an L in the different model (but also from BARE) and it fit great. They didn't have an ML.

Questions -

Go with the L?

Go with L undergarments as well?

We tried on XL vulcanized boots with a thinsulate liner (and socks) and the fit was good. On a dive retail website, I posted a question and a rep from the store said I wouldn't need a liner for the built-in vulcanized boots as the boots are 6mm neoprene already. I am skeptical. That true? If so, I could likely go to an L sized boot. My tentative plan is to go with XL boots and get a CT200 or other thinsulate liner.

My wetsuit gloves just tore. Recommendations to pair for the seals on this suit? Pinnacle Merino (discontinued I think)? Henderson? BARE? Something else? I am going to get cuff rings installed for the option of switching later to drysuit gloves.

Thanks! Appreciate all of the great posts I've watched roll in over the past few months.

I think I can give you some feedback on the sizing. I'm 6' about 190lb. I have an HD Tech trilaminate suit. My size is L. the height is perfect. It is a bulky at the waist, and upper leg despite of the fact my legs a quite thick. The suit fits great otherwise. No issues with reaching the valves. I do not know the sizing for ML but if it has a lower height I would not do it.
Do not go with XL boots. Take Large, Unless they changed the sizing which I doubt. My original boots measured by the bare rep was 2XL and those boots were HUGE. i had to replace them with L size. My size is 10 just as yours. With 2 socks - woolen and fleece I still have a bit of space.

I would recommend NOT to install the culf rings. I had old Si Tech rings installed on my suit. Although they work OK it's not the best option. Had I knew I would had installed the seals and put DC gloves over the seals. Thy seem to work better, we did it on my wife's suit. The seals are very easy to DIY if they are torn and not that big of a deal.

Thanks, Elan. I really appreciate the feedback. I think I might be an ML-Tall, which gets my height but cuts down on a few of the lbs. And good advice on the boots. That's great. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom