New Brunswick in July, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stacey_n_jamie:
i used to work for sparky too did his dive mastering for him. we used to be able to go to lots of dive spots around the deer island and campobello island area. one of which has been removed by none other than a local dive shop on deer island. my family and i were witness to the "theft" of grind stones at the spruce island dive site . its in the atlantic divers handbook or at least it was. a former salmon site owner and his brother who runs the dive shop used a salmon barge to lift the stones off bottom. i counted at least 20 stones onthe deck of the barge. when asked they stated that it wasnt theft but they had every right to take the stones. i thought that anything in the water over 100 years old would be an archeological site and should remain. when i left the area i noticed several dive charter boats and approached them , they all rushed over to the site to take pictures of the crime in progress. too bad there want more done about it as that was a great dive site and now im sure it is gone.

Jamie -

Didn't realize you worked for Sparky Too. It was unfortunate that he stopped operating it was a nice little operation with very reasonable prices.

Good size grind stones can bring a pretty price so I'm not surprised that someone brought them up. I'm not familiar with Canadian/New Brunswick law on underwater artifacts but in some US states just being old does not give the artifact protection. I know the location of a large grind stone just offshore in Eastport and supposedly there is another local spot where the bottom is strewn with them, ships often used them for ballast. I'm not sure what Maine law says about recovering them.

I wqs diving off Eastport last weekend. Talked with Neil who mentioned that you asked him about me. I'll give you a call once were up there for the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom