New buddy test... is this a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefyter:
Ok, you know me....do this to me, and you STILL get your *** kicked. Matter of fact, you're much more likely to get it kicked if you do know me than if you don't.

You got this about right. If your prospetive buddy needs this much "examination" - you shouldn't even consider them. Anybody who needs this kind of a test to pick a buddy is too damn anal to be a good buddy themselves!

Quote "I would recommend that you both know this will happen"

Ha ha...sounds like a lot of people want to kick your *****. Personally, as long as both people were okay with the idea, I wouldn't have any problem with it...really all you're doing is a mask & regulator replacement practice, which should have been done numerous times in the OW course. There'd be a few more things you'd want to cover in evaluating a buddy, of course, but knowing how they respond to loss of mask/reg WOULD be one of the useful things to know. Doing that without prior consent, and in deep water wouldn't be a good idea, but I don't read that as your intent anyhow.

I read his intent as a surprise move. New buddy doesn't expect it, just swim up & yank his mask off & regulator out.

Do that & get an *** kicking.

Now, if that's not what you meant, and both of you know & are agreeable in advance, then there's no problem. But while I do expect to cope with problems during a dive, having my buddy intentionally cause as a surprise them in order to "test" me is not on the list of what I'm going to be friendly about.

msedivingdoc:
Have a buddy that you aren't sure of????
Take them to the shallow end of a pool, pull off their mask and pop the reg out of their mouth. After seeing how they respond, use it as a lesson. I would recommend that you both know this will happen, but what would you do if someone did it in <5ft to make a point?
I have practiced this senario a couple of times and feel I can deal with it without freaking.

Lets see. First I'd stand up, being aware of my surroundings I wouldn't feel bad by missing my safety stop. Then I'd take off the rest of my gear, I find it a little cumbersome when trying to move about in that shallow water. Then I would kick the ever loving 'explative omited' out of you. You still want to be my buddy?

Ken

Iruka:
... but knowing how they respond to loss of mask/reg WOULD be one of the useful things to know...

Trust me, you still won't know, you'll just have some inkling. You will know how he/she reacts in a pool setting when they know that it's going to happen. Different than what might happen at depth in low vis when you accidently kick him/her in the face.

On a more positive note, you might say that you want to do a mask remove and replace drill, followed by an air share drill, both at 10 or 15' down on your first dive together. If he doesn't say something like "cool, I'll do it too", then suggest it. If you really are nervous about his skills, then say so, and ask if he's comfortable doing this sort of drill.

One basic rule I have for insta-buddies is "no surprises". No unannounced, undiscussed changes in the dive plan. No sudden surprises of gas pressure well past the agreed upon turnaround or ascent pressures. No sudden attempts to disappear by fast finning off in a random direction.

A sudden unannounced pulling off of my mask or my reg isn't going to freak me out, but it makes me question your mental state, leading to an immediate abort of the dive.

I think , a more passive approach might be prudent. But hey that,s just me.

Out of interest - would you make someone drive around the block before you got in the car with them the first time?

Is this potential buddy actually yor wife and you're trying to get to dive with someone more interesting? Cause if I did that to my sig other I'd probably not only be looking for different dive buddy but a new place to sleep at for a long time.

Kim:
Out of interest - would you make someone drive around the block before you got in the car with them the first time?
Nah. Most of the time you can tell which guys would scare you with their driving, even without getting into a car with them.

The same is true on a boat. I may not even consciously know why I'm edging away from somebody and hooking up with someone else, but I've learned to go with my hunches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom