New Computer For A New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look strongly at say a Dive-Rite or other trade name NiTek Duo wrist model......great computer at a fair price.

Some questions to consider (after budget):
a) Air Integrated or not? I like AI but it does add complexity and cost.
b) Wrist or console? Wrist is easiest (keep in mind some puck style can be bungied to a wrist) but it is harder to forget the computer if it is attached to your reg.
c) Nitrox or not? Personally, I would get nitrox. Gauge mode? Unless you have zero interest in tech, I would get something that has gauge mode.
d) How conservative an algorithm do you want?
e) Do you want to be able to download dive data to your PC? (This is very cool but usually spendy).

After that, you are probably down to a handful of computers. Look at each one. Can you read the display? Does it show what you want? Does it handle going into deco status the way you would want it to?

I have had the original cobra for years now. I love it. That said, if it died, I would go through the process above to select the replacement.

As mentioned, check out the Dive Rite Duo.

It is a simple two gas computer that can be wrist mounted or consul mounted. DSS also makes a boot for this so you can bungee mount it.

It has gauge mode which will be handy down the road if you choose that path.

It has user replaceable batteries. No need to ship it off to the manufacture.

Sure the download interface is $160, but I wouldn't make this a high priority when selecting a computer.

Your profile shows that your in CA. Likely you'll be wearing gloves? Get a computer big enough with buttons big enough that you can work them with gloves on.

I have a DR Duo and the Aeries Manta. I use the manta for travel diving in warm waters. It has an extension piece that you can put on the band to compensate for thicker exposure protection. It is a watch style computer.

Thank you everyone for your comments…all very informative. Many recommendations are for non-integrated wrist mounted units. As I am still learning I assume with these computers that I will need to use a separate pressure gauge. If I am incorrect please educate me. If I am correct what do folks prefer?

Thanks again to all!

I prefer having a full set of analog gauges. Not all dives need a computer and if your air integrated computer is not available for some reason at the dive site you will be in need of something not normally found in a save a dive kit (SPG and hose?). Both my regular kits have the Oceanic 3-gauge console.

I keep a work kit on one side of the Island and a play kit on my home side of the Island. My hose mount computer can be switched when necessary. If I didn't bring my puck to where ever I am diving, each kit is still operational. As for wrist mount, I have seen too many watches and wrist mount computers set aside and forgotten while getting out of the wet suit; I can afford the occasional $30 watch but not $300 pucks!

As far as wireless goes; the wireless transmission is interrupted by most scooter motors. When the scooter is running you will have no information on the face of the computer, and it will take a while for the link to be re-established after shutting down the scooter. I think it is really nice to know time, depth and pressure during operation of a scooter!

If you have analog gauges with a max depth needle, all you need is a dive watch (bezel set at dive's beginning) and tables to back up your computer for the rare time when it goes down on a dive. Many SB members are always poo-poo-ing vest BC's but guess what easily fits in most vest BC pockets?

Thank you everyone for your comments…all very informative. Many recommendations are for non-integrated wrist mounted units. As I am still learning I assume with these computers that I will need to use a separate pressure gauge. If I am incorrect please educate me. If I am correct what do folks prefer?

Thanks again to all!

If you get a non-AI computer, you will need a separate SPG.

As a new diver, you find you like to look at your SPG A LOT. As you get more experience you find that you focus less on your air and more on your time. You will look more at your depth and time and less at your SPG, so having a separate SPG is not a big deal. You can also clip your SPG to a D ring (depending upon your BC system) on your chest where it is easy to monitor.

The AI computers have a lot of advantages. They will tell you dive time remaining by calculating which you're going to run out of first, air or NDL. They can remind you of a lot of fun info. Some like this, some don't.

I've found when I use my wife gear, which has an AI wireless computer which is wrist mounted, it is nice to look at one instrument which tells me air, NDL, deco, whatever, however I find I go through and turn off all the alarms. If not I spend half my dive wondering what the unit is telling me.

My rig is a simple BP/W with a one piece harness. I wear my computer on my wrist and my SPG is clipped on my left hip d-ring. I prefer that set up. To me it appears cleaner than a lot of other rigs I've seen out there.

You'll find that everyone has personal preferences and everyone has an opinion.

If you see yourself diving a lot locally, look at what the local divers use and ask them why.

I got one of the new Suunto Vyper Air with wireless intergrated for air pressure. It has a very nice compass that works for me and at plus or minus 45 degrees this is much better than a physical compass. I like the AI as well I have used it since the Spring without any trouble and I dive normally 4 or 5 times each weekend.

I understand concerns about using wireless underwater for important things like air pressure, wireless works very different underwater that it does in the air. Having said that the technology for this has improved and with reasonably active diving since June with it and no trouble I am glad I did not spend extra for a spg to backup my wireless.

I don't really think there is a big difference in reducing hose count from 5 to what I have done to 3 hoses when it comes to moving well through the water. Dry suit inflator, bcd/air2 and regulator and having dropped spg and octo. Even perfectly horizontal our forward aspect is hardly like that of a barracuda, shark or even a puffer fish in distress, yes even a distressed puffer fish I would say has a better forward aspect when swimming than we do with no hoses and we kinda need a few.

For me the big thing that I like about the new dive computers with AI is that everything you need is in one place and it works and they are easy to use. Can I dive tables with a timer and a spg, yes and did so for a year. I am glad I did as well because I am more confident in the technology telling me the same things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom