New Computer For A New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Started with an Aeris Atmos 2 several years ago. It does everything I need and is easy to read off my right wrist.

That's exactly what I have as well. The strap broke, so I rigged up a bungie for it. Too bad they discontinued this model, but there are some current ones pretty similar.

Given the way electronics prices are dropping, there's really no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a perfectly functional and reliable dive computer for under $200. It's just not complicated a device.

Eventually you're going to mostly be concerned with depth and time, and N2 loading info. (on my computer that's a bar graph) This is because most of us recreational divers rarely plan dives using single tanks that exceed NDLs, so what we need to know constantly during the dive is our basic data (depth/time) and it's nice to have a representation of N2 loading/offgassing at the end of the dive. I routinely extend my safety stop until my computer's N2 bar graph retreats to the green. I don't know if it actually makes my diving safer, but I have noticed much less fatigue after multiple dives on multiple days. I got into this habit during my DM internship a couple of summers ago, I was doing 3 or 4 dives/day all summer.

Anyhow, my point is that you will be checking your pressure much less often as you become more experienced and able to more accurately predict your air consumption. This makes air integration less important as a convenience.

My ideal recreational computer would have a really clear and useful planning mode, allow you to input a specific multi level dive plan, and have a very simple front screen that showed depth/time in big numbers front and center, with either no NDL on the front screen (I'd put it on a 2nd screen, accessible with a button) or NDL in a smaller font on the front screen. Mostly, though, I'd want to know when I was approaching NDL, but I have no use for the huge NDL numbers that appear on the screen towards the end of a multi level dive.

Instead, I'd want to more easily track off-gassing and total N2 loading with a more segmented bar graph, maybe some representation of whether I'm theoretically on-gassing or off-gassing at a particular time. I realize that some compartments are off-gassing while others are loading, but the computer could calculate this and come up with an overall loading vs offgassing indicator.

It's fun to think about this stuff between dives, anyway. The last thing I want to be looking at while I'm diving is a complicated computer screen.

Once you pay more than $250 or so for a wrist mounted computer you are into the bells and whistles area rather than safety or must have features.

Several people have mentioned the Dive Rite Duo and the Tusa IQ-700 which is more or less the same computer. I'll point out that the TUSA IQ-700 is usually available for a little less and the warranty is two years rather than one year for the Dive Rite Duo.

Having an easily replaceable battery and screen protector is nice too.

I own two wrist mounted Oceanic VEO100NX's (Nitrox capable), one for me and one for my wife. I have about 150 dives on mine, all without a glitch. Great for recreational diving, large easy to read display, and changing the battery is a breeze. I especially like the single button feature, very easy to use. These are inexpensive computers which provide all the information needed for recreational diving.

Back
Top Bottom