New Computer For A New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Aeris XR1 and like it real well. It is a wrist mount. If you are renting gear you will like the wrist mount so you dont have to mount your computer in their console. If you go to scubatoys.com look under closeout they have one for $199.99 and anything over 50.00 you get free shipping. They have a bunch of others if you dont like this one.

On forums discussing gear I would never consider posts from folks telling me about how fine a deal I can get just for today anywhere.

On forums discussing gear I would never consider posts from folks telling me about how fine a deal I can get just for today anywhere.

If you was refering to Scuba Toys it is not just a today only deal. They run that deal on the XR1 all the time.:D

......I have a Aeris XR1 and like it real well. It is a wrist mount. If you are renting gear you will like the wrist mount so you dont have to mount your computer in their console. .....

And there is an XR1 online specialty class too :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

That is the good thing about Scuba Board. Someone is always good enogh to send someone good info. that is very helpful.:D

That is the good thing about Scuba Board. Someone is always good enogh to send someone good info. that is very helpful.:D

That is so true - you get great advice here. It has really helped me become a better diver. I just got a new computer for Christmas (just learned Nitrox) and recently got a dry suit. I'm going to Dutch Springs (our “local” quarry) to work it out....hands-on seems to be the way to go but the advice I get here is so helpful. I want to dive everywhere and have found so many people on this site who help and encourage my new adventures – thanks! :):):)

Also think about whether you want a console computer or a wrist-mounted one. I have found having my depth and dive time right in front of my face all the time (not having to be pulled up from anywhere) to be very useful. Although I began with a Cobra, I've become a big fan of wrist computers.[/QUOTE]

this is a great point when you are a diver that doesn't move much or if you have extra gear with you like deco bottles or if you get into video or photos. wrist mounts are easier to use you don't have to worry about finding a hose or reaching for it every time you will what to look at it. Being a new diver you will be looking at that think most of the time so you dont want to hold something in your hand the whole dive. I would look at a wrist mount computer like the sunnto gecko. it is a great less expensive computer that has a wrist mount. or the react pro from genesis.

the genesis has a gauge mode only so if you end up moving up plus the genesis is a little less conservative as the sunnto's so you will get a little longer bottom time.

Not only would I go for a wrist mount computer and compass, but I'd only get one that has a Deep Sea Supply bungee mount available for it . The Suunto SK7 compass in the DSS mount is kind of a standard, and the mounts are available for several computers. For tracking your gas usage, a simple metal and glass SPG will do the trick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom