New Deaf Diver here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A hearty "WELCOME !!!!" to ScubaBoard.
We hope you find a happy home here.

May I take the opportunity to introduce you to ScubaJW and Yukoneer?

I think y'all may have something in common.

And, once again, WELCOME to ScubaBoard.

The Kraken

Kraken...

How much similar do ScubaJW's and Yukoneer's stories have with mine? I am curious to hear their stories!

And how the heck do you divers afford your own equipment? Bought one by one or what?

Hey there! I'm not deaf but I have a severe hearing loss in one ear and a moderately severe hearing loss in the other. But because of the nature of my hearing loss, I actually hear with great clarity under water...it's one thing I absolutely love about diving. But anyhoo, even though I cope very well even without my hearing aids (I can read lips, plus what I do hear), I am learning how to sign and let me tell you - that opens up a lot of doors under water! The person I have been diving with a lot this summer also signs and it's a whole added level of fun as well as adding to communication.

Grish-

That's awesome way to view your hearing loss, looking at the bright side at what you can do with it. That's basically what I do.
I am looking forward to meet divers who knows sign language especially American Sign Language! It will be a blast.
=D

Off to check the link given by Dwaters. Thanks for the link!

Welcome to the board! California has an active dive community here and they are a great bunch of people...at least the ones I've met :D

Walter is in Florida and he knows ASL. If you ever get down there you really should dive with him, he's a GREAT guy!
Ber :lilbunny:

Welcome to Scubaboard!!

Sure thing, I'll keep Walter on mind when I go to FLA which I plan to do soon as I get my Advanced certification. =)

When you go you need to go on a Venice Beach shark tooth dive. There are several threads in the Florida Conch Diver section of the board describing what that is. I had a GREAT time when I went!
Ber :lilbunny:

Safe diving buddy, welcome to SB!

Kenny

How much similar do ScubaJW's and Yukoneer's stories have with mine? I am curious to hear their stories!

The both of us are deaf :D Anytime you go to Florida, let us know and we'll love to go diving with you. We both are advanced divers, and have been diving for about 4 years. ScubaJW is my girlfriend of 5+ years. We took scuba classes together while at RIT in Rochester, NY and became addicted to diving.

And how the heck do you divers afford your own equipment? Bought one by one or what?

Scubatoys.com, eBay, and craigslist :) Scubatoys gives discounts to scubaboard members, and will match any prices you find online if they are cheaper. I buy gear off eBay and the classifieds posted locally in craigslist. I also buy/sell gear right here on scubaboard.com in the classifieds section.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom