New Deaf Diver here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

I had two deaf divers take a wreck course with me in the Great Lakes years ago. I had six in the class plus another Instructor and a DM. We all had to comment how well they did underwater. But what was really cool the way they communicated, it was so cool watching them sign and thinking I need to learn that. Between that and reading lips these guys was awesome.

BoB- Glad you had an awesome experience with two deaf divers years ago and still remember it over time. It must have had an impact upon you. =) I can sure say I had the same effect upon my instructors and few DMs in class recently when I took a BOW course. AOW is next!

Yes I did. It's just that I wasn't around any deaf people for anytime. So having these very cool 2 guys hanging with us after the dives and getting to know them was like VERY COOL! I had an open mind going in ... but I guess I thought I did but when I look back ... I was amazed on how good of divers they were and how these guys was totally outgoing and friendly and was so easy to get along with. So I must admitt I'm BAD. Just me judging them shows I was ignorant. But was educated to the facts!!!!

HaH- you're forgiven for being ignorant. Most of us Deaf people are trying to educate people that we aren't that bad. HaH We are capable. Hope you have fun and safe diving, BoB! Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

Welcome to SB newbie, I'm a newbie here too.
Last fall I had the pleasure of training 2 guys (both deaf) They never stopped talking! What a buddy pair! As you know...when it comes to language...we that hear are impaired underwater.

Scubamama, we sure love to talk! Because there aren't many people around that signs so whenever we meet someone who can sign, we will fire away and chat all day! =D Being underwater doesn't stop us, lucky us! Glad you get to witness it and possible have the desire to learn the language? =)

James Croft, It does not suck having to clear my ears even though when I am Deaf. Equalizing does not bother me as much it does others. I equalize mine about two times when I go down to 60 feet.

James Croft, It does not suck having to clear my ears even though when I am Deaf. Equalizing does not bother me as much it does others. I equalize mine about two times when I go down to 60 feet.

You only equalize 2 times when you go down to 60 ft? Are you just waiting to feel pressure then you equalize your ears? We should equalize our ears; even though, we do not feel the pressure in our ears in any depth. I just wanted to be sure that you are not getting the wrong idea - because my left ear was injured because I didn't equalize my ears enough. I don't want this to happen to you!

ScubaJW makes a good point ... you should have to clear your ears alot more than 2X in 60 feet. Heck I clear mine 2X it the 1st ten feet.

One of the things I always hammered on was clear early and often ... if you feel discomfort or pain you waited to long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom