New Deaf Diver here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome!

My sister is hearing impaired. I do not know ASL (except the bad words of course) but I thought that would be the best way to communicate underwater.

My DH tries to use hand motions underwater but none of us know what he's trying to communicate. haha

Grish-

That's awesome way to view your hearing loss, looking at the bright side at what you can do with it. That's basically what I do.
I am looking forward to meet divers who knows sign language especially American Sign Language! It will be a blast.
=D

Off to check the link given by Dwaters. Thanks for the link!

I actually view the "hearing impaired" as "enhanced divers." One of our instructors couldn't get a couple of divers to shut up and pay attention during their dives.

After thinking about it, I started taking classes. Now I strongly encourage my DMs and instructors I work with to learn enough to communicate underwater. It's funny, as underwater, non ASL-speaking divers are definitely impaired.

To everyone else, ASL is not that hard to learn, it is a graceful language, and it sure beats scribbling on a slate during the dive or simply not being able to describe what you would like your buddy to know.

Anyway, RaixenViper, welcome to the board, and dive, dive, dive!!!

Kraken...

How much similar do ScubaJW's and Yukoneer's stories have with mine? I am curious to hear their stories!

And how the heck do you divers afford your own equipment? Bought one by one or what?

Well... Yukoneer has said it all. When you are heading to Florida, just let me and Yukoneer know! :14:

By the way, welcome aboard to Scubaboard.com!

To everyone else, ASL is not that hard to learn, it is a graceful language, and it sure beats scribbling on a slate during the dive or simply not being able to describe what you would like your buddy to know.

Anyway, RaixenViper, welcome to the board, and dive, dive, dive!!!

I've been learning independently for a month now and already have a good enough language to communicate just about anything I'd need to, plus all the fun stuff (i.e. the dirty words...hey, my dive buddy is my boyfriend-ish, that's the first stuff he taught me, haha). It DEFINITELY enhances the dive experience. It's very easy to pick up because most of the signs just...make sense.

That's awesome that some of you are learning sign language to enchance your diving experiences. It will benefit you on land as well whenever you bump into other deaf people out there even if they are not divers. =)

I am proud of you all! Keep it up.

As for Yukoneer and ScubaJW, I will certainly give you both heads up whenever I hit Florida and you can show me around since it's your turf.

Hey welcome to Scuba board hope you enjoy it here. Dave already gave you the link to the so cal. Nice to see some one on here that would understand what i say under water :D You dont know how frustrating it is to try and say somthing underwater and not have your buddy Understand. :) I've taken ASL for 3 years and use to know it well, still know the basics. I'm from SoCal also so maby i will see you in the water soon. :D
Happy Diving

welcome.. wow.. that was the best story I've heard.

My girlfriend in college was a speech therapist and made me take ASL with her. I learned a lot. Many years later I was diving with a new friend and for some reason I tried ASL with my buddy and found out that my buddy also knew ASL. It was a neat experience and a great way for us to talk underwater. Welcome to SB !

James, that's great that you found out that you could communicate with your buddy underwater with ASL. =D

Ericka, you one of those beach crabs? If so, I've checked their calendar and I am sure I will be able to join one of the local dives. See you around soon.

CJM, Thanks for reading the story and for the welcome. HaH! Have fun and safe diving as well.

James, that's great that you found out that you could communicate with your buddy underwater with ASL. =D

Ericka, you one of those beach crabs? If so, I've checked their calendar and I am sure I will be able to join one of the local dives. See you around soon.

CJM, Thanks for reading the story and for the welcome. HaH! Have fun and safe diving as well.

I Sure Am :) I plan on being on all of their Sat. dives and the Dive-in, also their SD trip. im one of the more active ones on the board

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom