New dive buddy prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going on a 10 day dive trip with a person I have never met before. We won't get to dive together until we are actually on vacation so I would like some feedback on the best way to prep for this.

What I mean is, we have already talked about either doing a pool session at the hotel or going in the shallows to practice our skills before we go on a real dive together. I'm sure we will burn a tank doing OOA drills, mask clearing, etc.

Our first few dives will probably have extensive dive briefings until we get more comfortable with each other then we can just discuss the basics..depth, entry, exit..blah blah

Anyone have any suggestions or been thru something similar? I'm curious what others have done.

Thanks,

Jason

WOW!

Is this a new kindler, gentler, non-trolling Jepuskar :confused:

Might I suggest that aside from the normal review of hand signals, etc. to make sure that you are both on the same page regarding usage and meaning, that you also alternate who leads the dives for the first several.

That will give you an indication of the others abilities to follow/lead. Also, might compare notes on consumption rates that way you have an idea where your new buddy will stand in relation to you. Checking air frequently during the first several dives will help you figure who is likely to be calling the turn point of the dive and when.

Also, be sure you make clear any expectations you have of them. If you like to stay shallow, or go deep, make sure they know and agree with it so you remain a true buddy team rather than Same Ocean Buddies.

Above all...

HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks Cave Diver.....not a new jepuskar, I just take my safety, as well as my buddies safety very seriously...which really has nothing to do with my awesome trolling abilities.

:)

Discuss communication skills and signals. Make sure that you are using the same system and that you each understand any unique signals that the other might use.

Decide who will lead on each dive before you get in the water. Establish protocol for a positive hand off if the other diver takes charge of the dive.

you are heading in the right direction.

Go through each other's gear. Ask questions as to how to do all of the releases and especially the weights. Make a mental note for a color or other obvious thing to identify them with under water, and point out at least one major identifying mark to your buddy.

Cover hand signals several times. OOA, LA, End dive, up a couple of feet, stop, gauge pressure, level off for 5 minutes, problem, OK, swim in this direction, and various flora/fauna that you will see.

Cover contingencies several times. Knowing how each of you will react in a given situation is best. OOA, LA, problems, when to end a dive (psi and/or time), and various others.

Find out about their experiences and expectations... give them the same about you.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Diving Dave, a scuba review is not an option due to our geographical distance. Also, I don't think it is necessary because we are both avid divers who are use to quarry conditions. Diving in Bonaire is far from the big bad ocean, but we will treat our safety procedures seriously.

JP

Good tips above.

I dive pretty often with people I haven't dove with before so I will stress one of the above.

Go over the hand signals and then go over them again and after you have done that do it some more. This is an area I have found to offer the most confusion.

Have a good trip.

Chad

I would definitely make sure that you have at least one slate between you.

I would think Hand siganls, maybe one salte. Unless you're doing something technical or beyond what would be considered recreational....it sounds like you've got you're S**T together.

Praticing skills in the pool or ow before you get together on the boat would be ideal. MAke sure you each know each other's gear......

I'm rambling...have fun...enjoy your vacation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom