New dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A console computer with AI capability has no transmitter. Only a wrist AI unit does.

If you want a log that can handle at least 50 dives, I'm thinking you want a computer that can download your logs to a desktop computer.

Not AI, but downloadable, cheap, wrist, you might check out when the Deepblu Cosmiq can be had.

Richard.

Last edited:
air integration is not a standard capability In computers. I cant comment on AI computers. I have long since stopped using them. The are nice for newer divers in some regards but as time go's on they become more of a pain than an attribute because of xmitter problems. An spg is all I need
Between my wife and I we have 4 transmitters, each has done over 200 dives. In 800 transmitter dives we've only had one stop working I between dives. 1 in 800 failure, I'd say that was pretty reliable.

Transmitters aren't what they used to be and are a lot better, but they're a nice to have rather than a must have

Between my wife and I we have 4 transmitters, each has done over 200 dives. In 800 transmitter dives we've only had one stop working I between dives. 1 in 800 failure, I'd say that was pretty reliable.

Transmitters aren't what they used to be and are a lot better, but they're a nice to have rather than a must have

None of mine has ever quit working from malfunction. They develop a 300 psi or so error either through out the range or on the bottom end of the psi range window.. For what little real benefit they offer they are too expensive to continue to keep sending into replace the pressure sensors. Not to mention the pain in insuring there is no psi on the reg when out of water to keep the unit xmitter shut off to save battery. Im not sure but I think mine read 300 either high on the low end or would not read <300 after time. Same goes for console AI units. Mine were Aeris units so that includes oceanics by default. My computers were aeris t3 t3 elite and I forget the console unit I have. Once I got my shearwater I never went back to them.

As an A.I. fan, a few non-essential but for some desirable perks:

1.) I like ATR (air time remaining); the computer gives me an estimated time assuming I remain at current depth & gas consumption rate, neither of which will be true, but since over time I'll likely gradually get shallower, it's therefore a very conservative estimate. While I have some rough idea how long a tank should last me on a dive, this gives me a tangible number to be aware of.

2.) I have both a wrist A.I. unit & a console A.I. unit, & mostly use the console, so glancing at my pressure on my wrist isn't a big deal to me, but some people really like that. I didn't start using the wrist unit's A.I. capability for a long time, so I didn't ingrain that habit early. Plus, my wrist unit is an old Oceanic VT3 with an LCD, and my console an Atomic Cobalt 2 with a big, color display, so it's not a fair comparison.

3.) An A.I. computer can likely log your start & end tank pressures for each dive, and calculate a SAC rate. Since A.I. computers tend to be more expensive, they also tend to have the capability to download dives to your desktop computer (or what have you). On multi-dive trips where you don't want to hassle with hand-writing pressures, or do without recording them, this is a nice feature.

None of the above is 'necessary' to dive, but then again, recreational diving itself isn't necessary in the strict sense, and some people like it and some people don't. I'm putting it that way to sum up the collective gist of varied long prior threads where fans & detractors of A.I. have 'discussed' perceived costs & benefits.

Richard.

A few points to consider for your first dive computer:
1.) If you continue diving, your first dive computer will not be your last.
2.) You will want to use your first computer for as long as you can.
3.) All dive computers have the ability to change from metric to Imperial units, measure depth, dive time and decompression status. Most will also provide the water temperature and time of day.
4.) For a first computer, consider that you may want to dive nitrox at some point in your diving career, so get one with nitrox capability.
5.) Find one that allows download to a desktop or laptop computer. Most computer manufacturer's have dive logging software or there are dive logging programs available.

As far as your budget goes, air integrated computers are not going to fit, whether they are of the console type or hoseless (wrist mount). The wrist mount AI computers also use a radio frequency transmitter which must be maintained, and changing batteries on these things can be tricky. I let my dive shop do that because I want them liable for any leaks, not me.

Finally, before you decide on a specific brand, look at the range of instruments they produce. Familiarity with the operation and "feel" of a computer is something that needs to be considered. That's my way of saying that you will probably stay with the same manufacturer even if you upgrade computers. Sort of a PC or MAC thing. Make sure that the range of computers is sufficient to fit your changing dive style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom