New Diver - Dumb Regulator Question (Maybe)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer is probably no. A standard recreational scuba regulator is not water tight unless, as mentioned before, the diver is consciously holding the regulator in their mouth with a good lip lock on the mouth peice. Just having it held in the mouth will not effectively keep water out of the divers airway. Also if the scuba mask is lost during the incident, the scuba regulator will not keep water out of, or air into the divers nose.

So, back to that story I read. If the guy was having Oxtox convulsions/seizure how did his buddy save him by holding the reg in his mouth? That's what started me thinking.

I dive with the primary regulator on a bungee necklace, but it's loose around my neck. I think if it was tight enough to keep the mouthpiece in the mouth it would be uncomfortable as you move your head.

The reason for the necklace is in the event I remove the mouthpiece from my mouth it's easy to find without having to do any sweep maneuvers to find it. And for this reason I use this on my primary regulator not the octo.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom