New diver experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe, the DM did just what I described he was our guide. When one reached 1500psi all divers in the group were to turn and start the return to the boat site. I realize that I was still ok with 360psi as I surfaced. My concern at the time was how fast would I consume my air during my ascent and safety stop, being new and nervous I new that I was using air much faster. But as I learned from each dive I made I am more conservative each time. Improving with each dive. Brady, as for signaling to the DM or my buddy, that was difficult, the DM was a fair distance ahead of me, and I did catch up to signal him. As, for my buddy, my brother, he was way behind me and sightseeing, thought it best to go forward to the DM instead of waiting for my brother to catch up to me. All in all I have gained alot from this and know I will always stay alert to conditions. :)

Your questions are simple, but the answers are not so simple.

1) Having less than 500 psi while you're still in the water should not be a problem at all, assuming you're close to the end of the dive and on your way to the surface. As you know, the shallower your depth, the less air you will consume, UNLESS you are super-stressed by the situation, in which case you will use more air. Your guide was right: you were not in trouble, but he should have recognized that you weren't comfortable with your situation, and he should have paid a little more attention to you. Having 500 pounds psi after you surface should not be considered an ironclad requirement. A lot depends on conditions and where you are diving.

2) I'm assuming that you didn't spend the entire dive at 70 ft. If you did, and if you exceeded the dive tables by 10 minutes, you might be in the hospital now. Modern dive computers are very reliable; the algorithms are as accurate as they can be, having been developed over years and years. My point is that if your computer indicated no violation, then it's doubtful that you were even close to having a problem.

The bottom line is: You are the one who is responsible for your own well-being. A dive guide can't know the mindset of every diver in a group. As you continue diving you will find that you will become more and more self-reliant in the water. The professionals you dive with generally know their business and will be invaluable in case of emergency, but you are the final decision-maker. (Hope I don't sound too preachy)

I have over 100 dives on Maui and am familiar with all the sites mention there and on Lanai. Many people who go diving on Maui are casual recreational divers- doing 2 to 6 dives on their trip, and have a history of diving maybe once every year or two. That's not everyone, but it is a lot of the charter customers. For that reason it is appropriate to do conservative profiles, but I want to add to the thread here by saying each diver needs to do their own, to monitor their own computer and to attend to their own NDL's and safety stops. That's why we each got certified. Within a group of divers diving the same site there can be significant differences in profiles, with time at various depths different for each. Of course, air consumption rates are also all over the board. Even casual recreational divers should remediate their skills, including dive planning skills, before each trip. Let's remember, a certified diver on a charter is not the same creature as a tourist doing a Discover Scuba Diving Experience. That said, those of you who have been there know that you drop close to $150.00 for a 2 tank boat excursion in Hawaii. For that you should get good service, the attention of the boat crew and dive crew, full tanks and clean air,and a good boat in good repair. You should get your questions answered, and the DM's should be attentive and alert. But you still have individual responsibility to monitor your air and time and NDL's, and to communicate to the dive leaders that which is not obvious to them. I'm off to Maui again in a few weeks. I plan to return to the boat with air in my tank every dive.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom