New diver, exploring options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidryder

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have accumulated all necessary dive gear (BCD, boots, fins, regulator, mask, snorkel, tanks, computer, weights, etc) and I am exploring options for diving.

I was a Search & Rescue Swimmer in the Navy so I am a strong swimmer and knowledgeable in first aid and safety. There is a local dive shop that does certifications for $99 so that is definitely in my future.

Anyway, I have been considering ways to get to dive spots. I am an avid paddler and since I moved to Tampa I have been frequently ocean kayaking. While shopping for scuba gear I came across this:

451.jpg
from here.

I don't know the first thing about scuba diving and I am just wondering if this is a feasible option for me. I have a GPS unit and am capable of paddling 6+ miles off shore.

My equipment:
Haleigh%20&%20Nicole%20082.JPG

I'm so glad I finally joined a forum :D I've been so excited about this since I've moved to Tampa!! Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the diving kayak is an alternative to an $8000 boat I was looking at. I am not excited about the prospect of spending $300+ every time I go diving.

THANKS!!!

The best dive boat is someone else's! I would suggest getting certified and going with the shop for about a years worth of diving or 100 dives. That way you will know what you are looking at as far as direction! You will then learn where the reefs are and the best dive conditions. Find a dive club and get involved so you can glean as much as you can from long time divers! Good luck and safe diving!

Kayak diving can be a lot fun or your worst nightmare depending on experience, so definitely get some of that. Find other kayak divers to show you the ropes. There's a big difference between paddling and paddling with 75 lbs. of gear in the boat, not to mention surf entries and exits.

I agree with Papa that you should get some dives in with the shop. The commercial boats won't cost you anywhere as much as owning your own.

Thanks for the replies so far :D

Two questions:

1) Can these kayaks be used for traditional ocean kayaking?

2) Typically how much do charters cost for a full day?

Typically because of rising fuel costs I have seen them go for $70 and up for 2 tank dives. I always see mention of Capt. Ty's boat in the Tampa area... but you can check with your local dive shop as well and see how much their charters are running.

I agree with the rest of the folks in this post and get certified first and then do some local dives and charters. Remember safety and get a buddy :D

Anyway, I have been considering ways to get to dive spots. I am an avid paddler and since I moved to Tampa I have been frequently ocean kayaking. While shopping for scuba gear I came across this:

I don't know the first thing about scuba diving and I am just wondering if this is a feasible option for me. I have a GPS unit and am capable of paddling 6+ miles off shore.

I'm so glad I finally joined a forum :D I've been so excited about this since I've moved to Tampa!! Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, the diving kayak is an alternative to an $8000 boat I was looking at. I am not excited about the prospect of spending $300+ every time I go diving.
THANKS!!!

Thank you for your service to the country, and to the fools let loose on the water. There's no doubt that the diving skills will come quickly for you. You'll take to the underwater skills more easily than the surface skills that limit many divers.

As to where to go and how to get there. . . diving rules require two divers, therefore two kayaks, each with near equal range with the kayaks. When you're around other boaters, kayaks are low to the water and difficult to see for boaters not looking where they're going. In lakes here in the midwest, there are big boats with big price tags that are running over the tops of bass boats and pontoon boats. . . they didn't see the 24' boat with a roof 12 feet above the surface. Can you safely go six miles from shore. . . you can, but can you avoid someone with a half million dollar boat with no training and probably drunk.

Look for a few guided trips for this summer and talk to the captains. . . they can give you good tips to avoid the most dangerous animals in the oceans, drunk weekend boat drivers. Oh, and don't forget, after the first few dives to become familiar with the underwater toys. . . take that speargun, with new bands to some of the charter boats for spearfishing. . .

I am sure you will catch on to diving fast. But I would say, until the day come, when you are comfortable under the water with scuba, you might leave your spear gun home. And that might not be too long after you start diving. I would also venture that most here would say you should have at least 100 dives before you consider solo diving.

Until you are familiar with the water of Tampa, and the best spear fishing sites, you might hold off the kayak idea until you know the local conditions. There might not be too many dive sites that you can safely kayak to and scuba. You might be putting the cart before the horse ... a problem I have also.

I will preface this by saying I am a new diver who has never been kayak diving.
However, I own 2 "fishing" kayaks- the Perception Swing. These kayaks, according to the dealer, were originally built for divers. He converts them with accessaries to fishing kayaks.
They are 13'6", so the track pretty well for ocean paddling. The length works against you in re-entry into moderate surf. (I surf in them some and I tump over about 1/2 the time. It helps if you are bottom heavy, which I am not.)
Being a big guy, I have difficulty getting back into the kayak in deep water- not impossible, but just very energy expending.
Anyways, I like mine a good deal.
PM me if you need any further details on these boats.
Spencer

David,

Welcome to the board! You sound like you're definitely going to be an asset to our diving community. My recommendation is to get certified and dive off a boat or shore dive with buddies for a little bit before kayaking. This way, you have a routine and you know the ins and outs of the basic dive before worrying about where to dive, paddling there, etc. And if something goes wrong with the kayak, you might have a better idea of how to handle it if you're calm and know your limits. Plus, you'll probably meet some great people as well. Again, welcome to the board!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom