New Diver going on first trip without my buddy - what's the drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd add that you should do this BEFORE you go! If you wait until you get on board (I've had people wait until they were about to splash) you may be out of luck as it could be too late for the boat to accomdate you.

That's what I was gunna say. I've done only one tropical (week long dive) trip (by myself). I spent a lot of the time on the internet choosing an op in Panama then a lot of time e mailing them for exact details. There were still a couple of surprises, but it went mostly very well.

I would simply add that a good pre-dive briefing with a new buddy is essential. Discuss your competence and experience, purpose of the dive, and go over communications thoroughly. Be sure to stress buddy proximity and be sure you are both on the same page on that topic. I have enjoyed many dives with people I met just before the dive, because we took time to get acquainted and get on the same page as far as the protocol for each dive.
DivemasterDZennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom