New diver: Key Largo/Islamorada/Looe vs. Ft. Lauderdale/WPB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

datzoo

New
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I just got OW certified last month in Monterey, CA. We're flying into Ft. Lauderdale in a couple weeks and have 3-4 days to do our first real dives.

Originally, I was planning on diving only at Key Largo (already booked a refundable hotel there for 3 nights) and was considering going with Rainbow Reef (and likely doing AOW while we were there, so we could do the Duane and Spiegel Grove). However, I was wondering whether it made sense to hold off on AOW (my girlfriend feels a bit nervous about going down to 100 ft and had some trouble equalizing at 30 ft during our checkout dives)? Instead, we could just dive a few shallow reefs for a couple days in Key Largo (Benwood, City of Washington, Molasses, French, and Snapper Ledge all seemed to be highly recommended on SB), then spend a day or two diving shallow reefs in Islamorada (Hen and Chickens Reef) and Middle Keys (Looe, Sombrero Reef).

Once I started doing some more research, I realized that we could also just stay around the Ft. Lauderdale area in Pompano/Lauderdale-by-the-Sea or go up to Boynton/West Palm Beach, which would be much more convenient driving-wise. Seems like the diving there might be slightly inferior to that in the Keys, especially given that we probably won't be able to do any of the deep drift/wreck dives, but would love to hear more advice on locations (and whether to do AOW right away, esp. since it appears to be cheaper and possibly more rigorous/educational to do it locally here in the Bay Area). I've read through many of threads comparing the two here on SB and can't make up my mind!

The east coast of Florida isn't inferior, its just different.

KL is awesome for new divers and can help a newer diver gain confidence. There are many shallow and pretty dive sites.

Most of the reefs are deeper in Broward and Palm Beach Counties and a lot of them are drift dives: especially in Palm Beach County. There are a couple of pretty and shallow reefs in Pompano that are fun too but the Keys have more options.

If I were a new diver or was diving with a new diver, I'd head to Key Largo.... By the way, Rainbow is good for newer divers since they provide guides and will help you get your weight and equipment set up right

Lots of great options in the keys. I took my kids there when they got certified, I love it there. West Palm area is also great, love that too.

Since you asked, my opinion is sticking with the keys for now. You literally just got certified and are doing your first real dives; take it easy and just enjoy your dives; develop your basic skills a little bit, engrain good habits, go for AOW a little later. I suspect you’ll get more out of it and the cert doesn’t make you advanced anyway, experience does that. And doing it later is a great excuse to go back to southeast FL!

Once I started doing some more research, I realized that we could also just stay around the Ft. Lauderdale area in Pompano/Lauderdale-by-the-Sea or go up to Boynton/West Palm Beach, which would be much more convenient driving-wise.

Depends on what you are looking for. I live in Pompano and the keys have much better reef, but wrecks, in open water depths, are better in Broward county. Palm Beach has mostly deeper stuff, often with a current. I would suggest the keys, especially Looe. Last time I was there, there were 2 Goliath groupers just hanging out at 20' :) . And sharks and big eagle rays, tons of fish. The wildlife in the keys is very good at those depths.

Hi @datzoo

I agree entirely with @sportxlh The shallow reefs in Key Largo are perfect for gaining experience and improving skills. Diving with the DM from Rainbow Reef will free you up from having to worry about navigation so that you can concentrate on your diving and enjoy the view. The shallow depths make air consumption and NDL very simple.

The diving in Boynton Beach would fit your needs very well. The inside reef is around 50-60 feet and is beautiful, with a lot of sea life, I would say, generally more than in Key Largo. However, all the reef diving is drift diving, a skill you do not yet have. None of the four operators out of Boynton Harbor Marina put a DM in the water. Unless you joined another group of divers, you would need to carry your own flag. The navigation, in general, is not difficult, but you would have to do that too. A guide would run you about $100. Boynton Beach might be better left to a little later.

Personally, I would defer doing AOW on this trip. I like your idea of doing AOW at home, under local conditions. Depending on your local dive profiles, you may want to get nitrox certified sooner than later, if you are not already. It is very simple and can be done online and then with a visit to your LDS, without dives.

Best of luck in your dive trip to Florida. Feel free to let me know if you'd like more information regarding Boynton Beach

Good diving, Craig

I live in Orlando and make regular trips to all the divesites you are considering; I recommend what others have been saying based on your post: stick with the Keys for this trip. I did a dive out of West Palm two days ago (June 20) on the wreck corridor, and it was great. But the current on the surface was almost 3 knots; at depth on the wrecks it was ripping, and a rainstorm during the pickup (three groups of divers; three SMBs in three different places) made getting back on the boat a Class E adventure ride.

I found the reefs of Fort Lauderdale to be lackluster at best, and like a war zone at worst with almost no corals or marine life to be found, and lots of garbage including fiberglass panels from boats and tires all over the place.

Allow me not to agree. While the reefs in the 0-30 feet are not in the best shape, reefs in the 60-80 depth are nice. Tires have been mostly cleaned lately (like 2-3 years ago?) and are rare to come across any. At most what you'll see is the fishing line. Different charters go to different reefs habitually (usually ones that are closer to their own dock). Depending on the operator, if you frequent the same one, you might be seeing same old reefs.

As to war zone, I'd find that insulting and sensationalist.

To the original thread, I'd for sure go onto the Spiegel Grove, it is a majestic beast of a wreck. Very memorable. I think its decks starting at 65 feet and down, overall, it is an easy dive (if no current).

Fort Lauderdale/Pompano is also a home to many wrecks. Lady Luck is the largest now.

Keys has for sure more fish.

Last edited:
Not sure what's the big deal with drift diving on a 60' reef from Pompano to W. Palm. Kids that grow diving around here seem to have no problem. And the difference between 30 and 60'? Lay a measuring tape down and look. It's not a big deal. Why some folks try to make diving a lot more difficult and treacherous is beyond me.

30' can change everything especially for a novice diver. It can be twice the pressure. It can get darker and colder, regulators get louder and don't often breathe quite as well. The surface is that much further away, at least 1 minute longer to get there. Gas lasts half as long.

Drift diving can introduce an entirely new set of variables. You need to be ready to splash at the same time as your group and do a negative entry. Buddy separation is possible, even likely. The current can bring you into obstacles including sharp rocks and wrecks.

Don't over simplify and downplay. That causes accidents.
33 feet is 2 atm, 66 feet is 3 atm, a 50% increase in pressure, a 50% increase in gas use. If your regulator is not breathing well, there is something wrong with it. We don't have much in the way of thermoclines. A negative entry is generally not required, just be quick at the surface and descend as a group. We don't run into rocks or wrecks.

Drift diving may be a little more difficult, especially if you also have the flag, but it is generally easy and safe. In some ways it's easier, you don't have to navigate back to the boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom