New Diver looking for sites in FL or Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope to hear back with some suggestions!
Thanks so much
-Cheyenne

Where in New England are you? Jet Blue (and others) have pretty good deals out of Boston to the Caribbean. I'd be all over that!

Consider a liveaboard - between the crew and 11-17 other divers you'll have plenty of people to buddy-up with. Liveaboard (Cayman Aggressor) was my first real dive trip after getting OW and AOW and it was a great way to get lots of dives under my belt in ideal, easy conditions. Plus, the need to only set your gear up once for the week is nice, too!

Key Largo, etc are fine... assuming you don't get blown out, which often happens.

Hi Divekraz,
Thanks for your info but I am actually wondering if you could tell me more about Ft Lauderdale diving?? The vacation is a family one and they found a hotel there for reasonable rates and everything, so I may be specifically going there! Is there good diving there (near Ocean Sky Hotel and Resort if you know where that is) and are there shore dives there or only charter dives? I figure you may have info about there since you live there :) Let me know if you have any suggestions in this area as to where to go (cheapish, possible shore dives, and most importantly newbie friendly). I'd appreciate it, Thank you!

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

I am now specifically looking into Ft Lauderdale. Thanks everyone for all the info, but if anyone has some info on diving in this area and pros/cons/recommendations of the area please let me know! Thank you again! I cant believe all the help I received so quickly :)

Last edited:
In response to your question about diving in Fort Lauderdale. Yes, it is great. Shore diving, one of the best is at the end of commercial blvd in Lauderdale by the sea. 4348 N Ocean Dr, Lauderdale By The Sea · (954) 772-7966
You can go to this shop which is just 2 stores south of Commercial, get all the details about the shore dive and rent your tanks. The beach is just one block east. If you go north from your hotel the shop is on the right just before commercial. Drive on the road east of the dive shop and you will see the beach with parking and showers. The parking fills up quickly so get there around 8am. We usually go by the pier on the south side. You do need a diver down float when shore diving. The blue heron bridge is also a great shore dive however that is about an hour drive north and you must dive at slack tide. Best thing is to contact force E on Atlantic in pompano beach for details or call their palm beach shop. I use Capt Conrad Welcome to Miss Conduct Dive Charters 954 815 9424 He is a six pack at the park off 14th street just north of Atlantic. Cost $80 with tanks. He will take you on whatever type of dive location you want dependent on the other divers wishes. You can also use scubatyme across from the Houstons Reastaurant off of Atlantic. Nice crew and owner however they do have more divers and they decide where they want to dive rather than the divers. Your hotel is just 6 blocks or so south of Commercial so the pier and the shore diving is very close. There are some very good restaurants on Commercial by the Beach, you should take your family, and check out the area The dive boats I use are north, about 10 minutes drive of your hotel and to the North then right side of the street. There is a restaurant right on the pier so your family could have breakfast and watch you go in the water. Get there early as the parking gets busy by 9am if your doing a shore dive. If you have any other questions on things to do, places to eat, etc let me know Divekraz

Gold Coast scuba right on commercial has rentals and plenty of people to dive with :) . They can find ppl for you to dive with for shore dives or boats... 2 shore dive sites on either end of the hotel -- commercial blvd & oakland blvd. and several charters close by as well. scubatyme is good. restaurants? tooo many to name...except for a good mexican rest.

Datura, Oakland, perry St, all good easy shore dives... 3-5mm wetsuit.

We're all pretty friendly... can't garantee which ones bite and which dont though :)

Hi Divekraz,
Thanks for your info but I am actually wondering if you could tell me more about Ft Lauderdale diving?? The vacation is a family one and they found a hotel there for reasonable rates and everything, so I may be specifically going there! Is there good diving there (near Ocean Sky Hotel and Resort if you know where that is) and are there shore dives there or only charter dives? I figure you may have info about there since you live there :) Let me know if you have any suggestions in this area as to where to go (cheapish, possible shore dives, and most importantly newbie friendly). I'd appreciate it, Thank you!

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

I am now specifically looking into Ft Lauderdale. Thanks everyone for all the info, but if anyone has some info on diving in this area and pros/cons/recommendations of the area please let me know! Thank you again! I cant believe all the help I received so quickly :)
i haven't dived pompano, but I have Boynton Beach. Boynton is only about 1/2 to 3/4 hour from Lauderdale. It is world class and benign diving, if you stay off the wreck dives. The wreck dives can be easy, but they can also be a bear. tough for the op to say no to 10 experienced divers v one or two newer divers when conditions are marginal.
And then there LTBS.
Also depending on your schedule you can always make a day trip to the upper keys. I've done it from Jupiter.

i haven't dived pompano, but I have Boynton Beach. Boynton is only about 1/2 to 3/4 hour from Lauderdale. It is world class and benign diving, if you stay off the wreck dives. The wreck dives can be easy, but they can also be a bear. tough for the op to say no to 10 experienced divers v one or two newer divers when conditions are marginal.
And then there LTBS.
Also depending on your schedule you can always make a day trip to the upper keys. I've done it from Jupiter.

If you want to dive in Boynton Beach Florida, I would suggest Captain Leo 888 340 3483 or 561 734 3818. He runs a very good ship. The diving is also good in Boynton but in my opinion may not be worth the drive time from your hotel. I also used to live in West Palm, had my own boat, and dove all over Jupiter and Palm Beach. Personally I think you would be just as happy in Fort Lauderdale, The Blue Heron bridge would be worth a trip as you should see more unusual things. I also think the charter boars are worth the $80 versus the beach dives but that is just my opinion. All the reef diving from charter boats is drift diving. You and your buddy get a flag, the captain tells you when to dive and will keep track of your flag to pick you up when you surface.

Another vote for the keys, Lauderdale by the Sea (Fort Lauderdale) or Blue Heron. I'll also throw out Jupiter as a great option for new divers. Just let the shop (whichever one(s) you go with) know you're new and they'll watch out for you. If you're really worried, ask around here for a buddy. I've had a few offers of people to dive with from here on Scubaboard and even took a couple of them up on it.

I'm trying to organize something on the Spree (Wookie, here on Scubaboard is the Captain--links in his signature line) for either the end of March or some time in May, if I can ever get time commitments from my wife and my brother. The dry tortugas for 2 or 3 days with a stop by the Vandenburg on the way back to Key West. Reasonable rates, a fine Captain/Crew (by all accounts I've read) and phenomenal diving on sanctuaries.

I second the suggestion to dive the Blue Heron Bridge, especially for a new diver. The dive is easy so that you can practice your skills, and there is a ton of really cool things to see, from octopus, to sea horses, to rays.

The diving from Jupiter (north) down to Boynton is all really good, but it is drift diving so you want to be prepared for that. My last dive in Key Largo the corral was in bad shape, but haven't been there in awhile, and they've been doing some planting of coral there. I highly recommend diving the Palm Beach area.

If you are diving out of West Palm, be sure to have lunch at the Tiki Hut!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom