New Diver looking to pick up some gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New Years Day 1.1.2012 - YouTube

above is a video that highlights the typical new diver difficulties including stirring up the bottom, poor buoyancy and lack of direction. These divers had great brand new gear so as you can see the fact that it is brand new does nothing for your ability.

+1 on the Jetfins. They will allow you to get closer to the bottom and maintain visibility. plus you can get them used which is what I did.

Look for used gear and buy new regulators. It will save you money and when you decide what type of diver you are going to be you may find that you saved a lot of money.

Good luck

Garth

---------- Post Merged at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:57 PM ----------

what wasn't highlighted in the video which I found out later by the people on shore was that some of the divers rocketed to the surface from 60ft with their new drysuits they just bought.

make sure you get trained in specialized gear either by a mentor or by a professional.

thanks for the tips...I know that new gear will not help my abilities if I can find some used gear I will definately look into picking it up

So I wanted everyone's opinion on dive computers....I am going to be purchasing fins,snorkle and mask within the next week or so as I should be diving again at the end of September. My next question is would you reccomened picking up a dive computer as my next piece of gear? It seems the functionality and use would superceed any other equipment I would use after that and I can rent the other gear without an issue. The computer seems for a new diver an investment in a saftey piece as it will log dives and show calculations and store data to review dives later to help with planning.

Even more important a computer has the ability to monitor your dive in real time and help you avoid fast ascents, and human error mistakes in your dive plan.
If you purchase a nitrox compatable computer you won't need to replace it when you take the class, and if you select a wrist mount computer that will also mount in a console boot you have options later.

Even more important a computer has the ability to monitor your dive in real time and help you avoid fast ascents, and human error mistakes in your dive plan.
If you purchase a nitrox compatable computer you won't need to replace it when you take the class, and if you select a wrist mount computer that will also mount in a console boot you have options later.

Thanks! Any reccomendations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom