New diver, order of purchasing equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What attracts you to it? How do you see this unit being able to 'grow' with you as a diver?

Not much in particular. Almost every time I went out for a dive, there is at least one person with a ranger, and all of them gave praise to their BCD when I asked. The main praise they had is that the ranger is built solid. I'm not committed to the ranger, and would definitely appreciate a recommendation. I'm diving around 8 dives per month and waiting until my schedule opens up to take the advanced course. There are a lot of wreck dives I'm interested in going at about 90-100ft.

At what depths? Under what conditions? Should your ability to take long slow breaths be governed by your inherent breathing control, not by a regulator that is simply hard(er) to breath?

At about 40-50 ft, slow-mild current, my friend let me borrow his scubapro MK-2 for a few dives when we came back to the same dive site. It probably is my ability in breathing control. Every time I dove, I always spent a few minutes to practice breathing. The MK-2 in particular just seemed to deliver more air than I wanted. I had the sensation of gulping air and it caused my throat to start feeling really dry in the middle of the dive. The Oceanic is the regulator my dive shop mostly rents, and I've never had that "gulping" and dry throat issue with that. As for the different second stage, it's only the price.

I put the regulator 2nd on my list because I want to try a few more, but that is the regulator I'm leaning towards. For that price and being a newbie diver, I thought it would be good enough until I am more efficient at breathing. Then I would replace it with a "high end" set.

I take my diving like my golf game. It's not the club that makes you good. I'm willing to put good money down for a good quality golf bag to make sure that it keep my equipment organized, doesn't break every time I put it down, and protect my clubs every time I kick it. But I'll buy a low-end set of clubs until my skill is "good" enough to tell the difference between a slice and a draw. Hopefully, my diving will end up better than my golf game.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 03:06 PM ----------

Haven't read the whole thread but I'll throw it out there, sounds like your in it for the long haul, have you considered or are you interested in a BP/W?

Zeagle make some very nice BCs.

Oceanic hmmm, if you travel dive I'd re consider as finding service centers off shore in far flung locations that can service Oceanic are probably far and few between. "If" travel diving is in your future I'd consider either ScubaPro or Aqualung as they both have extensive service centers worldwide. Just a thought worth considering.

Re mask, your shop was right, a good fitting mask is worth whatever it costs. The shop I've linked to sell neoprene mask straps which I recommend for both comfort and security.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/slap-strap-plain-all-black

If if you have a wrist computer a simple brass and glass SPG is all you need. Most come from Termo in Italy and are just branded with a particular dive companies name. They come in two sizes, medium and large, personally I prefer the medium. I don't use a boot. This link will give you some idea as the options:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/spg

An SMB is a must in my option with finger spool, as is a cutting device, I carry two, a trilobyte and some shears, link below:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/cutting-tools

https://www.divegearexpress.com/lift-bags

https://www.divegearexpress.com/spools

A compass is also a must have in my opinion, I like the Suunto SK7 in a DeepSeaSupply bungee mount, Suunto have recently come out with a newer version, the SK8.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47

If if you have a wee look around the DGX website it'll give you some ideas as to what's available, prices etc. DGX are a very good store.

A light is another consideration, the type will depends on its intended purpose.

Im not suggesting you buy all from DGX, it's a good place to browse and see what's available and at what prices.

Good of luck with your shopping.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2015 at 11:06 PM ----------

I'm not sure what fins you're using but if they have the standard rubber straps upgrading to spring straps or similar is also a good idea.

Great recommendations! I will check them out

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2015 at 03:08 PM ----------

Most important gear in order of importance:
  1. Bp/wing rather than jacket bc...will last for 2 or 3 decades if a decent brand. Many Jacket Bc's last 2 or 3 seasons :)
What would you recommend? I remember one of the technical divers that came with us during my OW dive had a dive rite. I wouldn't mind putting down money if it'll last me decades :)

I have a HOG bpw... The wing seems really really well made and looks like it could last a good while. I suppose harnesses are just two inch webbing and brand doesn't matter. For the Backplate I also can't see that thing ever needing to be replaced (within my lifetime)...

Either way both me and my wife started off with traditional bcds... I had a hybrid (jacket + rare inflate) and my wife had a rare inflate... Both were sold after discovering the bpw joys... Don't believe the stigma... It's not for tech divers alone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 01:39 PM ----------

At about 40-50 ft, slow-mild current, my friend let me borrow his scubapro MK-2 for a few dives when we came back to the same dive site. It probably is my ability in breathing control. Every time I dove, I always spent a few minutes to practice breathing. The MK-2 in particular just seemed to deliver more air than I wanted. I had the sensation of gulping air and it caused my throat to start feeling really dry in the middle of the dive. The Oceanic is the regulator my dive shop mostly rents, and I've never had that "gulping" and dry throat issue with that. As for the different second stage, it's only the price.

I put the regulator 2nd on my list because I want to try a few more, but that is the regulator I'm leaning towards. For that price and being a newbie diver, I thought it would be good enough until I am more efficient at breathing. Then I would replace it with a "high end" set.

I take my diving like my golf game. It's not the club that makes you good. I'm willing to put good money down for a good quality golf bag to make sure that it keep my equipment organized, doesn't break every time I put it down, and protect my clubs every time I kick it. But I'll buy a low-end set of clubs until my skill is "good" enough to tell the difference between a slice and a draw. Hopefully, my diving will end up better than my golf game.

i don't think you need to go through the hassle of buying twice though. If air flow is your problem then just get a good set with adjustable flow, if you're dive shop rents oceanic then they service them as well so you can stick with oceanic. Find out from them if they have any oceanic models with adjustable flow and give that a test, during the dive adjust the flow till you don't get the gulping feeling. As you progressively become better at controlling your breathing you can adjust the flow accordingly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom