New diver... questions for your instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In respons to juls64, yes it would be ludicrous to do your DM course after 20 dives and start leading people on dives straight away. However I am about to go and do my DM and it is not just for that. I would eventualy like to work in the indudtry, but will personally make sure I think I am ready to do that. In the interim the DM course teaches you things that will make me a safer diver, for myself and my buddy. It is just a step to making people better divers and and if you take personal responsibility for it can only enhance your own diving enjoyment.

Charlie99 once bubbled...

The boyle's law discussion was cut short when my response was "PV=nRT, duh." We did discuss lung volumes and how much buoyancy change that is equivalent to, and calculated that a 80 cu ft tank was really a 0.4 cu ft. tank.

Boyle's law is PV=k or PV=kT.

PV=nRT is the ideal gas law.

Everything else in your narrative sounds great otherwise. :)

Neil

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

: Next time your LDS goes for certification dives ask to tag along and tell the instructor that you want to keep up with all 8 divers in cold, low visibility water. Make sure that the hot dog that knows it all doesn't take off on a swim of his own chosing. That everyone will follow the correct ascent procedures, not hold their breath, ascend too quickly or inflate to see if they can really clear the water with their weight belts. That everyone will be careful and not drop a lead weight or tank on their toes or worse on someone elses.

I see your point, these things you mention are challenging for an instructor and will make you a better one, but making sure someone dosent drop weight or a tank on their toes does NOT make someone a better diver. I usually DO go out w/ my old instructor for the purpose of monitoring those people you mentioned for him. (sorry no cold,low viz water here)

I still think this is a valid question to ask an instructor, Im sure teaching isnt easy for you but I dont think your diving can improve as much as if you were doing personally challenging dives (not one that tax you teaching ability, but you diving abilty).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom