New diver wannabe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am very new (haven't even taken my PADI OW class yet but I am signed up).
Live outside of Portland, ME but am interested in warm water dives :) Actually
going to do the OW dives in the BVIs, not in ME. Just class and pool up here.

My first question:
I just bought a shorty 3mm suit mailorder. It's what the Dive Shop in the BVIs said I should get. As I'm hard to fit (short, overweight) I figured I'd buy my own suit rather than try to rent. (Yes, I have my drs permission to dive :) I found an Akona 15/16shorty. It fits pretty well, appropriately tight everywhere, except the bottom of the legs. I always thought I had big thighs but I think because I'm short the suit comes too low (just above the knee) so it is a little loose there. It's tight from the mid-thigh up, and the upper body, neck and arms are fine. Is it going to be okay? If not I don't know what the heck I'm going to do. I've heard about LiquidFit but don't want to invest in that until I go through the class and decide to pursue this as a hobby in the future.

My second question:
Also, is it normal to be a little nervous about this? I'm excited mostly, but also a little nervous. I love the water and snorkelling, I'm mostly afraid I'm going to do something stupid.

Congratulations on a great beginning!

You could try something like a Henderson hyperstretch or similar style/material. Wetsuits like this are more forgiving to no-so-normal body types... But I think you must try on a wetsuit to know if it will fit... identical sizes from different manufacturers will fit differently. Thermal protection is not your only concern... you should consider a dive skin to go with a shorty... I see plenty of people dive in just a skin if the water is warm enough.

Being a little nervous is ok... just don't let it turn into anxiety or panic. Go slow and move on only when you're comfortable. Ask lots of questions too. Get comfortable in the pool before you go to OW and you should do fine.

Ken

Congratulations on your decision to learn scuba diving! I started diving this past summer. For me the excitement after taking my first breath under water was all it took for me to decide I was going to learn all I could about recreational diving. Go at your own pace and don't move on until you're comfortable with each skill you learn. I agree with Ken - ask a lot of questions.

Deborah

Back
Top Bottom