new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCgirl7681

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
Well I am doing my dive training now. I will be certified in early June. We are going to Cozumel in late July for a week. I'd like to dive once or twice while I am there. Could anyone give me some advice on where to dive/who to dive with for a newbie?

We will be staying at the Fiesta Americana.

Thanks so much!

Welcome to the board and welcome to the big pool! Your going to love Cozumel diving. It's fabulous.
I have been diving with the gang at Scubamau since it's inception and some of the guys before it started. They have small fast boats, no more than 6 divers. Beach surface intervals, and fruit/water on board too. For the past week gypsyjim and his lovely wife Colleen have been getting on with a Scubamau boat from your hotel. It was great diving with them and I think they loved the hotel too.:D kevin

While I like ScubaMau as well, there are dozens of good Ops on the island and what you would like depends on your preferences. There is a lot to be said for using the house Op at a hotel and for the first time, would probly work well.

My suggestion is to do a couple of dives every day; that's why you're getting certified. Be sure to have DAN dive insurance, minimum middle plan if not the top as the bottom plan is a dog; BYO snorkel gear at least and surface signaling devices; hire a private DM for the first day of diving; and have a great trip. :pilot:

Let us know what you want in an Op, some like roomy boats with heads, but the unreasonable cheerleading for personal favs is expected...
Cheerleader_6.gif

I used ScubaTony for my first dives after certification two years ago and was very pleased with the personal attention he provided. We were staying at Fiesta Americana and he picked me up at the doc.

Enjoy your dives.

As Kev said, Colleen and I are staying at the Fiesta Americana, and have been for this last week, and I have been diving every day with ScubaMau.

While I am quite pleased with the resort. Good service, pretty good food for an all inclusive, I am not going to suggest diving with the resort's dive op. They are probably OK, but divers are herded onto large boats, with a lot of other divers.

You simply don't get the kind of dives I like from such mass merchant dive ops.

Mau runs small boats that carry at most 7 divers, and you get very personal service. Both Mau himself, and the DM Pablo took great care of Colleen, who is still a pretty new diver, and needed a bit of extra attention. They also charged only @$60 for the two tanks dives, while the resort shop charges $75, for what I consider "cattle car dives".

Divers with more experience are also given a bit more freedom to dive their own plans with Mau, than one can on the big ops/

If you want personal attention, and to feel like more than just one more tourist diver in the herd, I would highly recommend ScubaMau.
I met several great new SB friends, like Firstdive2005 diving with Mau, and we will certainly be diving with them the next time we are on Cozumel!

Hello,
Well I am doing my dive training now. I will be certified in early June. We are going to Cozumel in late July for a week. I'd like to dive once or twice while I am there. Could anyone give me some advice on where to dive/who to dive with for a newbie?

We will be staying at the Fiesta Americana.

Thanks so much!

I'll bet you $20 you can't dive just twice while in Coz, especially when you have a whole week available.

And I'll throw a plug in for my favorite dive op, Blue XTSea Diving. Small, fast boats with 6 divers max, canopies provide shade, water/juice and snacks included. Small operation that is well suited to looking after new divers. You won't get lost in the crowd and they will pick you up at Fiesta Americana.

Enjoy your trip!

I'll bet you $20 you can't dive just twice while in Coz, especially when you have a whole week available.

And I'll throw a plug in for my favorite dive op, Blue XTSea Diving. Small, fast boats with 6 divers max, canopies provide shade, water/juice and snacks included. Small operation that is well suited to looking after new divers. You won't get lost in the crowd and they will pick you up at Fiesta Americana.

Enjoy your trip!

I was thinking that too, only two dives! You will be addicted the first time you hit the water and will want to dive more. I will add my cheerleading to Blue XTsea as well, but let us know what you are looking for so we can give you accurate info.

They are right..kinda like Lays potato chips..you cant eat just one! You will then be hooked, and will find yourself trying to find new ways to fund the next trip for your Coz fix.
If you are new to diving, the hotel op, i believe it is Dive House at FA, will do fine with you. Later you may find you want more individualized diving, and then the fun of discovering your own favorite dive op will have began. And as Dandy Don said, there are oh so many to choose from. Here on Scubaboard, you will hear from many people plugging their favorites. All part of the Cozumel experience. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to both Scubaboard and the Cozumel addiction!

I dunno. Not everyone wants to dive every day. The Coz fans on this forum often do, but not everyone.

As far as an Op, I could easily name several good ones as good as those being cheered, but using the House Op would be easiest and especially convenient if you need help with gear.

Hmmm - Cozumel and only dive twice - good luck. I predict your first immersion in that liquid blue heaven will have you as hooked as the rest of us poor slobs.....

Have fun -Blue Angel is great for a dive op, but there are dozens of good ones around!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom