New DS4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JS1scuba:
If you purchased these from an authorized dealer it should be covered under you warranty and ANY Aqualung/ APEKS dealer can replace it for you.

Check with the dealer you bought it from.

Regards,

An Apeks shouldn't *need* to be covered under a warrantee. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't touch them for my technical needs. Not to say QC can sometimes slip up sometimes, but Apeks has a great reputation. But it appears like it's about to take a bit of a tumble for using cheap parts on a workhorse reg. That said, it's ironic that this particular model is proabably the most heavily favored reg by the technical community.

When I broke it it was warm out Fl in Jan high 60 degree f, I was attaching my regs to the tanks and it felt like a nut stripped when the plastic let go and slipped, due to my hose configuration I was not "apeing it" since I am not able to get my entire hand on the thing to start with. I have sent 2 emails to Apeks and have not heard anything yet. My LDS is also checking on it. I figure if all else fails I will have to buy the DIN conversion kit and replace what shouldnt have broken to start with.

Wreck:
...But it appears like it's about to take a bit of a tumble for using cheap parts on a workhorse reg. That said, it's ironic that this particular model is proabably the most heavily favored reg by the technical community.

My sentiments exactly. Apeks has always been aware of the technical community's needs and wants. Their R&D and marketing has always reflected this. Seems to me, that it was a company run by divers for divers. Aqua Lung, while being a good company, has always seemed to influenced too much by the bean counters. Maybe they figure that the DS4 isn't the 'Top of the Line' 200 series and therefore they can increase margin by using more plastic? Just goes to show, AL may not be all that in tune with the market for this 1st stage. I hope they don't go making any more changes, unless they are in the right direction.

mwpowell:
Here's a closeup of the plastic handwheel that I got with a DS4 from DiveInn last month.

Seems to be the same as all the other plastic wheels in use. With the metal insert. I hardly believe that this is done to "cheapen" the reg, as earlier mentioned. Likely just something for a change. Depending on where DiveInn is based and where they receive their product from would comfirm if this is for North America only (Aqualung's idea) or worldwide. I know that the black pearl employed this type of wheel.

DiveInn is based in Spain IF what others on the board say is true.

Back
Top Bottom