New DS4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below is the response From APEKs

"...contact Aqualung America for replacement handwheels, I just want to let you know we have changed our plastic and processes on this component and it is now a lot stronger,..."

I think I will just locate the DIN conversion Kits somewhere that has metal handwheels.

rescuediver009:
I hardly believe that this is done to "cheapen" the reg, as earlier mentioned. Likely just something for a change.

I don't think they'd want to do that unless $ forced their hand. But diverging from a proven, traditional, all-metal handwheel is like... saying a Gavin scooter needs to be redesigned for general use.

rescuediver009:
I hardly believe that this is done to "cheapen" the reg, as earlier mentioned. Likely just something for a change.

Why else would they change from metal to plastic? Do you think that the plastic handwheel is better? What was wrong with the old metal handwheel?

mwpowell:
Why else would they change from metal to plastic? Do you think that the plastic handwheel is better? What was wrong with the old metal handwheel?

Simmer Simmer. There is nothing wrong with the metal wheel. I have it on both of mine. And too tell you the truth I really don't care to debate the significance of why a company decided to shange their handwheel material. Better things to do.

rescuediver009:
Simmer Simmer. There is nothing wrong with the metal wheel. I have it on both of mine. And too tell you the truth I really don't care to debate the significance of why a company decided to shange their handwheel material. Better things to do.

OK. Guys, it's money related. You don't take a one piece metal component and suddenly make it out of mated metal and plastic for design or function reasons. Neither one of those would make any sense. Design - I'm sure most will agree that the metal wheel looks better. Function - One piece is defineatly better than two dissimilar materials mated together. Especially when thermodynamics involve expansion and contraction.

Why then? It costs more money to machine the metal wheels than it does to injection mold a plastic wheel and drive a metal insert into it. Simple.

Do we like it, NO. But with the popularity of the Apeks line of regs, new diver's are checking them out. They don't really know the difference, since a lot of recreational regs employ the same thing. With Aqua Lung at the helm now, Apeks is going to see a lot more marketing dollars. Those marketing dollars will be spent on the recreational market, not the technical market. Why, because Apeks already has a huge market share in the tech community. They want to increase volume, while decreasing cost. It's easy - stop machining an expensive part, and replace it with an injection molded plastic one.

Maybe there is a new tech reg in R&D. We'll see.

mempilot:
Maybe there is a new tech reg in R&D. We'll see.

Hmm, isn't it called Poseidon??

Boy, wait until the DIR crowd goes to buy a new first stage... Time for a new brand. (I'm joking, really)

MikeC:
Boy, wait until the DIR crowd goes to buy a new first stage... Time for a new brand. (I'm joking, really)

Oh, I don't know. They are dead set against Delrin as opposed to metal. If they don't like a plastic buckle, then they can't like a plastic DIN wheel.

sylvester:
I have a pair of new DS4s for my doubles they have a plastic and rubber handwheel on the DIN valve. I broke one of my handwheels on the 1st time using them......

I would first like to take this opportunity to welcome all comments which are discussed regarding the Apeks brand of products. The comments on this and many other web forums can be a very useful point of contact with divers, which is essential for us to strive
for a better product.
With regards to the DIN hand-wheel on the Apeks DS4 & US4 regulators, I would first like to address the original statement of a broken hand-wheel. This design of hand-wheel has been successfully in use since the launch of the Black Pearl Regulator in August 2003. Unfortunately we have recently had a small batch which are susceptible to breakage with high impact (e.g. if dropped). We have since addressed the problem which caused the defect so it cannot be repeated and would like to apologise for any inconvenience which it may have caused. Also I would like to apologise for what sounds like a slow response. I will personally look into why it took two emails to respond to your request.

The design of this hand-wheel was improved back in 2003 to aid with the ergonomics of the regulator. This design took the saw tooth shape of the Yoke/‘A’ Clamp plastic/moulded hand-wheel to enable removal of the regulator to be easier than tightening. This is why the rubber grips are shaped like they are. We use this idea to reduce the effect of over tightening and improve the effect of removing with cold, wet hands.

This design of hand-wheel is manufactured using over-moulding techniques similar to that of the Yoke/‘A’ Clamp style hand-wheels, where the metal insert is over moulded.
This method was not chosen to reduce costs and certainly not to cheapen the Apeks regulator, but to move forward in design and offer improvements to the end user. This method now requires several more processes to manufacture, which still includes a large metal insert. We are pleased that we have had a very positive feed back with this new design, as for many years it has been suggested that the grip effect of metal DIN hand-wheels needed to improve and also we needed to lessen the chances of the metal cutting the skin of diver’s hands. This design and the use of plastic over-moulding techniques have been used for many years on the yoke clamp hand-wheel throughout the world.

The Co-Moulded DIN hand-wheel has been rigorously tested, both simulation and field testing, which shows that the hand-wheel can withstand the environment it will be subjected to, at working temperatures and age. It has also been tested by the UK MOD who has chosen to use this hand-wheel instead of the metal version, due to its obvious advantages.

This DIN hand wheel will eventually replace the old style on most of the Apeks range throughout the world; however the metal one will still be available. We have no plans to re-think this design and we have every confidence in the product.

I hope I have been informative enough and thanks again for the feedback.

Andy Davis

Apeks Marine Equipment Ltd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom