New Faber LP50's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5/7mm one piece custom from Wetwear. Water was 61 degrees.

I have a DiveRite CCR wing I really like to use with my doubles and my DH. It has an offset inflator that works nicely with the DH cans. The bungie also keeps it happy with the smaller tanks. Mounted on a VDH Vintage Plate, and a custom harness I put together.

wing: Dive Rite CCR Wing

As said above, I've used it with AL63 doubles and now LP50 doubles.
I still haven't gotten my LP50 doubles wet yet (last weekend I dove my DH with my single LP66), but impatience got the better of me: Earlier today I ordered the Dive Rite CCR Wing that you use, @rhwestfall. from DGX.

I exchanged e-mails with DGX customer service a couple of weeks ago. They recommended a different Dive Rite wing for LP50 doubles. I dragged out my old 1993-era Dive Rite Doubles Wing and took some measurements, and ultimately decided that, for DH use on LP50's, the CCR Wing should work better.

We'll see in a few days ...

rx7diver

Curious your thoughts. I do like mine, the offset elbow being one thing, the bungie gusset being the other.

Curious your thoughts. I do like mine, the offset elbow being one thing, the bungie gusset being the other.
Yes, the offset elbow, and the relatively narrow width (~21"), and the relatively modest amount of lift (~40#). (And the Dive Rite quality/reputation.)

I had hoped to find a doubles wing that I could use with my LP46's or LP50's, with both my DH + VDH Classic Plate + solid-bar single outlet manifold, and my pair of single-hose regulators (either Scubapro or Poseidon) + Al Dive Rite Doubles Plate + OMS isolation manifold. The DR CCR Wing's offset elbow seems perfect for the DH configuration (per your own experience), but not so good for the isolation manifold configuration (maybe).

We'll see ...

rx7diver

UPDATE: My Dive Rite CCR Doubles Wing arrived Friday. Late Friday evening I inspected it (seems flawless, as expected), assembled everything (LP50's), and wore the kit around the house for an hour while I watched "Dateline NBC."

My first impression is that it this rig will do nicely. I hope to get it wet soon. Thanks, @rhwestfall, for the recommendation.

One thing: I think that this BC is a bit tall for my LP46's. The 46's will put the BC at risk for being pinch-holed, maybe. I should get the 46's back from hydro next week, and then I will get a better idea.

The attached pics show a HP120, 72, and HP80 (all PST) for perspective. There is a bit of an optical illusion since the LP50's aren't wearing a tank boot and are leaning against the back wall. A LP50 and a 72 are both ~25" tall without boots and without valves.

rx7diver

Attachments

• DR_CCR_Wing_and_LP50s_20220724a.jpeg
    DR_CCR_Wing_and_LP50s_20220724a.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DR_CCR_Wing_and_LP50s_20220724b.jpeg
    DR_CCR_Wing_and_LP50s_20220724b.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 128
@rx7diver - I see your method for the pull rod attachment. One thing I did to make an attachment point was to cut a short length of webbing and put one end in the tank band (or like I did - clamp it with a band clamp). I put a grommet in the other end to put the rod through, but you can also just burn a hole in it with a hot nail.

@rx7diver - I see your method for the pull rod attachment. One thing I did to make an attachment point was to cut a short length of webbing and put one end in the tank band (or like I did - clamp it with a band clamp). I put a grommet in the other end to put the rod through, but you can also just burn a hole in it with a hot nail.
@rhwestfall,

Just a temporary expedient that I borrowed from a pic that @John C. Ratliff posted above (in post #29)--since I wasn't able to make my idea (to use a loop of paracord) didn't work out. (My bands fit really tight. I didn't want to wrestle with taking the bottom band off, inserting the paracord loop, and replacing the bottom band. Too lazy at the time.)

rx7diver

UPDATE: I took my new twin LP50's double-hose rig for its very first (pool) dive this afternoon. Dove it with my 2-3 mm jumpsuit, dilapidated Scubapro booties, and Jet Fins, and 6# of solid weights on a rubber weight belt.

RESULTS: Extremely comfortable! This will do very nicely, I think.

I was pleasantly surprised that the corrugated hose that shipped with my Dive Rite CCR doubles wing was long enough. (I had to change out the corrugated hose that shipped with my VDH 23# Argonaut singles wing, for a longer one.) I think that the fact that the Dive Rite corrugated hose "stretches" or "telescopes" is why it worked so well.

I didn't dive long enough to drain the full cylinders down far enough to test how things feel with near-empty cylinders, though. I might be a couple of lbs heavy.

And, after using my pull rod several times to switch the J-valve mechanism on and off, I am certain that I would be happier using a pull rod that is a couple of inches longer.

VERDICT: I can't wait to take my rig diving in open water and deeper than high school swimming pool depths! And with my Nikonos III.

rx7diver

SS galls up very easily, especially on its self, high loads, and when using power tools, to much heat is created,,,
Then I always use and oil, Like new clean engine oil, not wd40,
If I do that i have had good success.

I'm a retired mechanical contractor. We had to install thousands of SS bolts/nuts on flanges. We always coated with Never Seize or similar. Otherwise that 3/4" bolt would likely be seized when it was time to unbolt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom