New Fin Design, anyone seem these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaresMan1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just received a notice about these new fins from South Africa that promise extreme performance improvements. Was just wondering if anyone else has heard of these fins. Very strange looking too.

www.gillsfins.com

What do you think?

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

$300 CAD? And another $50 for postage. Hmmmm... a little pricey.

Be interesting to see some actual statistics on their performance. Looks like a velcro strap holds the foot in place against the fin. Not something I would have faith in over time. Velcro wears, and collects sand and dirt.

Never heard of them. Looks interesting, but interesting as a gimmick. I'd like to test them to see how they actually work. They seem to be a tad expensive at 112 pounds.

Are you kidding me...."jet propulsion"...seriously folks, while the fluid mechanics is reasonable, I'd like to know what the net effect is...I'm guessing very minimal. These are deisgned for only 1 of 2 kicks....flutter and dolphin. They won't enhance the performance of the frog, mod. frog, mod. flutter, etc. Not to mention the hefty price tag to boot.

Polycarbonate fins? In other words, they'll snap and crack when you'll drop your weight belt on them.

BTW, I love this line:
This material is a real space age plastic material, as a matter of fact it was there on the moon during the first moon landings.

"This is a SUPER SPACE AGE MATERIAL! It's only been around OVER 40 YEARS!"

Walter:
Never heard of them. Looks interesting, but interesting as a gimmick. I'd like to test them to see how they actually work. They seem to be a tad expensive at 112 pounds.

Yea, just a tad!

i'd give them one week diving on and over the volcanic rocks of the canary islands before they break, polycarbonate indeed.

I don't know who came up with these fins but Im guessing they have zero notion of reality. When im not diving im paying the bills as a mechanical engineer(read dork). Simple fluid dynamic laws show that not only would the tubes not help in propulsion, they would cut down on it due to increased friction from the flow. They are a silly gimmic for people with too much money. Don't waste your money, get some jets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom